BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2008 E90 320d - No Main Beam or Indicators

7K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  thanatoid 
#1 ·
I was out driving and noticed my indicators were not working.
I pulled over, turned the car off, removed the key and restarted, the indicators came back to life briefly, a mile down the road and they had stopped again.
Later that night I noticed the main beam (flash or switch to main beam) was not working either - everything else seems to be working - side lights, hazard lights, hazard lights from locking the car, mirrors, windows.
On the steering wheel stalk the on board computer works (pressing the button on the end of the stalk changes through options on the dash - MPG, remaining distance etc.) but indicate and main beam doesn't.
I have checked fuses and haven't found a blown one yet (any idea's on one which will stop both?)
I have had the FRM out and it *looks* ok.
I had thought it might be locked out on a short circuit count - but have used tool32 and have no short circuit counts:
Code:
  STAT_FL_LINKS_SHORT_CIRCUIT     = 0                 00 00  ..                    
  STAT_FL_RECHTS_SHORT_CIRCUIT    = 0                 00 00  ..                    
  STAT_AL_LINKS_SHORT_CIRCUIT     = 0                 00 00  ..                    
  STAT_AL_RECHTS_SHORT_CIRCUIT    = 0                 00 00  ..                    
  STAT_BEGRL_LINKS_SHORT_CIRCUIT  = 0                 00 00  ..                    
  STAT_BEGRL_RECHTS_SHORT_CIRCUIT = 0                 00 00  ..                    
  STAT_NSW_LINKS_SHORT_CIRCUIT    = 0                 00 00  ..                    
  STAT_NSW_RECHTS_SHORT_CIRCUIT   = 0                 00 00  ..                    
  STAT_FRA_LINKS_VORN_SHORT_CIRCUIT = 0                 00 00  ..                    
  STAT_FRA_RECHTS_VORN_SHORT_CIRCUIT = 0                 00 00  ..                    
  STAT_FRA_LINKS_HINTEN_SHORT_CIRCUIT = 0                 00 00  ..                    
  STAT_FRA_RECHTS_HINTEN_SHORT_CIRCUIT = 0                 00 00  ..                    
  STAT_BREMSLICHT_LINKS_SHORT_CIRCUIT = 0                 00 00  ..                    
  STAT_BREMSLICHT_RECHTS_SHORT_CIRCUIT = 0                 00 00  ..                    
  STAT_BREMSLICHT_MITTE_SHORT_CIRCUIT = 0                 00 00  ..                    
  STAT_SL_BL_LINKS_1_SHORT_CIRCUIT = 0                 00 00  ..                    
  STAT_SL_BL_RECHTS_1_SHORT_CIRCUIT = 0                 00 00  ..                    
  STAT_E70_SL_BL_LINKS_2_R56_SML_VL_HR_SHORT_CIRCUIT = 0                 00 00  ..                    
  STAT_E70_SL_BL_RECHTS_2_R56_SML_VR_HL_SHORT_CIRCUIT = 0                 00 00  ..                    
  STAT_KZL_SHORT_CIRCUIT          = 0                 00 00  ..                    
  STAT_IB_SHORT_CIRCUIT           = 0                 00 00  ..                    
  STAT_NSL_LINKS_SHORT_CIRCUIT    = 0                 00 00  ..                    
  STAT_NSL_RECHTS_SHORT_CIRCUIT   = 0                 00 00  ..                    
  STAT_RFL_LINKS_SHORT_CIRCUIT    = 0                 00 00  ..                    
  STAT_RFL_RECHTS_SHORT_CIRCUIT   = 0                 00 00  ..                    
  STAT_BFD_LINKS_SHORT_CIRCUIT    = 0                 00 00  ..                    
  STAT_BFD_RECHTS_SHORT_CIRCUIT   = 0                 00 00  ..                    
  STAT_DRL_LINKS_SHORT_CIRCUIT    = 0                 00 00  ..                    
  STAT_DRL_RECHTS_SHORT_CIRCUIT   = 0                 00 00  ..                    
  STAT_E70_SML_LINKS_VORN_R56_CS_ORANGE_SHORT_CIRCUIT = 0                 00 00  ..                    
  STAT_E70_SML_RECHTS_VORN_R56_CS_BLAU_SHORT_CIRCUIT = 0                 00 00  ..                    
  STAT_KLEMME_58G_SHORT_CIRCUIT   = 0                 00 00  ..                    
  STAT_BIX_SHORT_CIRCUIT          = 0                 00 00  ..                    
  STAT_VERSORGUNG_SMCS_SHORT_CIRCUIT = 0                 00 00  ..
I have followed the guides to clear them any way, but still no lights - now I'm at a loss as to what to try?

INPA had a few faults reported for different modules:

Code:
00  JBBF       OKAY      3 Error stored•              
C90B         61•              
A6D1         61•             
 C914         24•

01  MRS        OKAY      2 Error stored•              
93D0         20•              
93D2         24•

12  DME/DDE    OKAY      2 Error stored•              
41F1         02•              
4C03         58•

17  EKP        OKAY      No Error stored•

29  DSC        OKAY      5 Error stored•              
5DE1         20•              
5DF4         20•              
5E3F         A0•              
5E51         A0•              
D373         A4•

40  CAS        OKAY      No Error stored•

41  DWA        OKAY      1 Error stored•              
D947         64•

50  SINE       OKAY      No Error stored•

55  ISPB       OKAY      2 Error stored•              
DE51         20•              
A9AC         21•

56  FZD        OKAY      No Error stored•

60  KOMBI      OKAY      5 Error stored•              
9315         28•              
931D         22•              
A3C1         20•              
A3B4         20•              
A3A9         21•

62  MOSTGW     OKAY      2 Error stored•              
E194         20•              
E18F         20•

63  MASK/CCC   OKAY      No Error stored•

64  PDC        OKAY      No Error stored•

72  FRM        OKAY      14 Error stored•              
9CB6         24•              
A8C4         24•              
A8C3         24•              
A8BC         24•              
A8BB         24•              
A8BD         64•              
A8AC         64•              
9CB8         22•              
9CB5         22•              
A8AA         64•              
9CB2         21•              
A8AB         64•              
A8AD         64•              
9CBA         24•

78  KLIMA      OKAY      1 Error stored•              
9C6C         21•

See less See more
#2 ·
Hazard lights flashing when you lock the car indicate the lights are OK and work fine, so maybe further back in the chain, ultimately stalk or flasher relay (if they have such a unit) :)

OR

BMW's don't have indicators that work, they're an option that was deleted as folk didn't use them :)

More than one block of fuses? Don't know of yours but I seem to have several fuse locations spread around....

#3 ·
Hi thanatoid,

I have been doing a little more digging, as far as I have read the FRM module controls the lighting for the E90, the FRM distributes power and detects short circuits and disables circuits instead of blowing fuses - after a set number of tries it locks the circuit out - this has to be coded out of the module, I was hoping this was the case - but sadly not!

I have been running one of the jobs in tool32 looking at the switches - I can see settings change for the headlight switch, fog switches, the hazard switches, even the headlight level roller switch - but nothing for the stalk - so I am hopeful it is pointing to a stalk that has failed!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.