Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    guys... I have a 2008 320d, E90 engine, 180k on the clock, full BMW service history. the car is used for a 150 mile daily commute. Have owned car from new. in last three weeks, having driven about 80 miles, car is parked up, and on returning to it some three hours later, it is totally dead- won't respond to either key, won't open, when opened manually, no response to key, no lights, no radio not even the red LED for the alarm. suspected dead battery, tried jump leads, no change.There appeared to be a very, very faint two tone from the immobiliser/alarm, barely audible inside the vehicle. On returning to car next morning (about 10 hours later ), opened with remote, and started first time. No issues while driving. local garage with up to date diagnostics can find no faults; happened twice more. last time car was parked overnight-had been ok when parked- but next morning, no response to key, same as before. Some hours later, started to work ok again. referred to BMW main dealer. They have had car for a week, can't replicate the fault, and diagnostics show no faults logged on ECU. Has anyone encountered this before?Has anyone any ideas where to look? my initial suspicion is a faulty immobiliser, but I don't know how the BMW system activates- does it normally shut the whole electrical system down?anyone any idea why the fault isn't being logged? HELP!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Ian_330d_Touring's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    M Sport Touring

Thanks
    There are 3 power feeds from the battery one to the starter (thick) and one to Fuse box (Thin) and another to engine electronics (thinner) (starter one is cut if you have a shunt)
    On top of the battery is a complex device Rear Power Distribution box perhaps there is a problem there

On my car when the starter failed BMW advised me the battery leads were corroded out of the battery box and wanted £1100 to replace them, mine is a 2005 car

I think it is very unlikely you would lose a connection from the battery then get it back later but anything is possible, however when you connected the jump leads under the bonnet did you get a spark when you attached them (as you would expect connecting to a dead battery)? because I think that connection is to the starter/alternator and the connection to the rest of the car would be via the cabling back to the battery and then back to the rest of the functions.

Please let us know when you get to the bottom of it

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    ratheanach's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Ian...many thanks for this. I don't think it is as simple as a wiring break...as you say, it would hardly repair itself for a while, then break again repeatedly. BMW are stumped; main dealer says they have never come across this, and are at a loss as to where to go next. they say they have checked all possible sensors for malfunction,and without having the car while the fault is current, they can do no more. Time to change..................?Will post a reply if it gets sorted before we part company.

Regards, Chris