Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Hi all I just thought I'd post this to see what you all think.

In April 2010 I bought a 2nd hand 320nwith 68000 miles. It was previously a RBS lease car and came with full BMWSH from Soper at Lincoln. The warranty ran out in May this year. So as the warranty had expired I did a minor service, Oil, filter etc in July when the CBS kicked in. Today I was driving down the very busy M67 when without warning the car died!!! I was travelling in lane 2 in heavy traffic. It was just going dark and raining. Now normally I would not be to bothered but I was on a brow of a hill and a sitting duck to all the other vehicles, with nowhere to go. I can tell you I nearly wet myself.

The car dash lit up with just about every light in the car but would not start. I called the RAC out who kindly towed me off the motorway. The poor engineer then spent 3hrs trying to sort the fault. He finally found it, it was the battery submired 3/4 up the side with dirty water! He found the two cables under the battery rotted and a split seal in the battery compartment.

He said he had never seen this before and was slightly dismayed. He has advised me to go to my local BMW dealership and play mary hell with them. He said that for a car such as BMW just over 3yrs old to have water leaking in like that was a joke. He was more concerned as was I that when it stopped it did so without prior warning and gave me almost no chance to escape flowing motorway traffic. I'm just greatful I did not have my 2 children in the car with me, and I didn't get wipped out.

Do you think BMW will sort out the fault, even though my warranty has expired?

BN

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Banned
    Car Details
    Ferret's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,639 Posts
    I assume from your post that the battery must be in the boot.... I would take it too BMW, but i'm not sure they will do anything, as seals do go bad ! Albeit, I wouldn't expect a 3 year car to have such bad seals, they submerge the battery !

So has the water been drained, and does the car work now ?

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    shamM3's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Vert
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,502 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Its out of warranty - they'll put it down to something like the drainage hole being blocked, ultimately your own responsibility and doesn't come under any checks they carry out so..

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,115 Times in 5,338 Posts
    OP, I would talk to BMW UK first before visiting the dealer

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Brokenninja's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Thanks for your replies.

Yes the water has been drained, but the RAC could only do a temp repair on the battery cables, aas the spade ends are huge. I know seals do go bad but the water has come in through the bottom of the boot. All seals around the hatch are in perfect condition, and the rest of the boot was bone dry.

I will call BMW UK first and speak with the brand manager, and report back. I'm not after any major freebies just replacement cables and the leak fixing.

BN

8. 2007 E91 320D Touring died on motorway 
    BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    daveyboy467's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    a
    Year of Manufacture:
    a
    Transmission Type:
    a
    Car Body Type:
    a
    Thanks
    Surely from the time the warranty ran out up to now isn't enough to rot the insulation on the battery wires, never mind rot through the cable too. I'd try the fact this should of been picked up earlier.

Also just check how you describe this.. If water is coming in from the bottom how is it able to hold water surely it wouldn't be able to hold water with a non water tight hole at the bottom.

Good luck.