BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2006 E46 318ci mSport..dead

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  yubbish 
#1 ·
Hi , This is my first thread ..

I have a 2006 318ci mSport and have had it for two years with no problems at all exceopt for the rear sensors..just done a 460 mile round trip and no issues..parked up and locked it as normal ..left it for one day and at 03:00hrs this morning, the alarm went off with out indicators flashing,,managed to stop alarm but now nothing happens ..when fob pressed ..nothing..unlock the car manually and try to start..totally nothing..

Any advice would be grateful..

#5 ·
Id say either the battery has died, probley alternator isnt doing its job which has caused the battery to die, failing that the imbolizer but if your getting no dash lights i dare say 99% the battery is flat and if uve just done a long trip the alternator is screwed. which as probley killed quite a few of the cells in the battery. Ive had quite a few problems with them at work on my fleet of BMW's.

If thats the case when you replace the alternator replace the battery with a decent one, none of the rubbish cheap ones as they just dont last or do the job. (personal preference though) that and i get all my car parts at cost price through work.

#6 ·
if you're popping past a halfrauds, ask for a free battery checkup. the machine they use should be able to check for dead cells, and if the SAE crank rating is up to par. i think some stores have machines that can check if the alternator is working properly, but that's a fairly straight forward one as the voltage across your battery should be around 14.5v or there abouts when the alternator is charging.

#7 ·
My money would be on your battery has just had enough:thumbsup

No doubt it's still the original;)

I would still be inclined to have the voltage output checked on the alternator just to be sure but I definitely think it's more than likely to be the battery:thumbsup

Please let us know how you get on:)

#9 ·
Thanks for all the info , guys...Took battery to get checked and only pulling 11.4v after 12hrs charge...got numerous quotes ranging from £90 - £115 ...Is appears to be the original one..got BMW on top..probably go for replacing original....:thumbsup

#11 ·
Thanks for interest...Bought a genuine BMw battery and connected up..Yahha!!! :hihi..fired up first time and never lost any settings on seats or radio..

Trying to re-initialise all four windows..all but drivers come back up together when multi-window button is used ...looks like drivers window switch is shot on forst stage connection...will replace switch just befiore i sell or trade back in...:lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.