BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2005 Mini Newbie Here Needing Help....

674 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Doy 
#1 ·
Hello, My first post on here. I have posted the same info on Mini forums but dont seem to be getting little responses hence my post for help on this forum. Here it goes...........

About 2 weeks ago i purchased a 2005 1.4 Diesel Mini, 52k Miles Approx.....

The ABS light keeps coming on randomly and stays on until engine is switched off. When switched back on the light goes out and is ok again. There doesnt seem to be anything wrong with the brakes as i have
tried several emergency stops at different speeds and the light has never come on during any of these routines. The auto stability warning also always comes on at the same time of this occuring and again goes out once
the engine is restarted.

This has happened 2 times in 3 days, once approx driving the car around 2 hours and the 2nd time last night after about 4 hours. Yesterday earlier in the day i made a trip to my workplace which is a 40 mile trip each way and
nothing happened. The 1st actviation happened on a car park at night and the 2nd on a rural road when i had just driven down a steep hill and came to a stop at a junction.

The car definetly stops fine and cannot hear any unsual sounds when braking or when steering fast etc....

Since the car was 2nd hand there are 2 different brands of tyres on the car on each side (pirelli and michelin tyres) both have good tread so maybe this is a factor? All tyres have been checked for correct pressure (32psi alround)
i am mentioning this as i have read around the net that different tyre may trigger this scenario?

I am unsure of the make of brake pads but i guess on their last change they would have been done at a local garrage so maybe this is a cause?

On visual inspection all 4 brake discs look good condition and tyres show no sign of unsual wear.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.