2005 E90 320d, climate control air motor was making noise now no fan but still heat?

Notices

Thread: 2005 E90 320d, climate control air motor was making noise now no fan but still heat?

Reply to Thread
  1. 2005 E90 320d, climate control air motor was making noise now no fan but still heat? 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    lazynewt's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Hi the other day there was a whiring noise coming from the ppassanger side behind the glove box. I gave it a fonzy tap with a close fist and it stopped... Yesterday morning i set off and the climate control was not working. There is no air coming out ? theres eat but no air pushing it through?? Now if i hit the glove box then the whiring comes back for a second and air starts to come out... This only happens for a second though before it stops.

Am i right in thinking this is the heater blower motor? or could it be the heater blower motor resistor ?

Also by the sounds of it could there be some kind of blockage ? and if so how the hell do i get to it ?? do i take the glove box off etc ??

I could do with as much detail of what you guys reccoment as possible as im new to BMW's and am scarred of dealer invoices lol.

I think its the e90 but am not 100 percent sure its the newer shape (just before they added the extra bonnet ridges) and its a 320d M sport.. I love this car but its proving to be a bit of a pain.

Thanks for any help guys.

Neil.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

3. no one any ideas? 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    lazynewt's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    can anyone shed light on this ?

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    rhysw's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    My wife had the same issue with her 116i. I know a lot of things on the 1 series and 3 series are similar so maybe this will help. If not I am sure someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly.

Directly under the glovebox is a sort of kick panel. This drops down if you undo the torx screws (4 ish I think) and plastic caps. Once the panel is out of the way you can then see the blower.

The blower has the resistor installed in the middle of it. Two wires run into the resistor and then two run from the resistor into the blower itself. If you unplug the cables and undo a screw the resistor can be removed seperately.

The 116 had exactly the same issue and we replaced the resistor (it was about £70 at BMW, the blower costing about £120). This got the blower going again.

A word of warning though, since we have replaced the resistor the blower has started to slow down again and whine. I think this had been happening for a while before and it had blown the resistor. I have since put some WD40 onto the blower and the issue has gone away again. I will keep an eye on it.

Hope this helps
    Rhys