Model of Car:
    330 ci sport convertible
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    convertible

Thanks
    Hi all, I really hope someone can help me with this?
    5 months ago i went out to my car and the battery had gone flat.
    Due to the bad weather i fitted a new bmw supplied battery and the problem went away for a time. Then it started doing it again and from research from other peoples problems i replaced the heater resistor (hedgehog) in the hope that this would fix it.
    3 weeks later it has started doing it again. I have checked everything with an ammeter between the negative post of the battery and the cable and all seems fine as it drops to 0.06A when the car goes to sleep. Is this reading to high in sleep mode?
    This time it has gone flat in less than 24hrs.
    The altenator is putting 13.94 volts into the battery which i assume is high enough?
    Hope you can help and thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    colin.ab's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Bit of a long shot, but I saw a car this weekend with intermittant flat battery. Have you had any instances of windows doing weird things? Central locking working by its self?

Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    johnny-c2's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    convertible
    Thanks
    did you check alternator output with things like heater on lights on?
    Thanks button is here

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    dguest79's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330 ci sport convertible
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    convertible

Thanks
    Hi, Havent noticed any problems with windows or central locking system. Drivers window had dropped about an inch earlier but put that down to me taking the negative terminal on and off the battery while testing.

Also i didnt test the output voltage of the alternator with heater or lights on. Is it better to check it with a high load on it?

Thanks for your help

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    todd_iain's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    One thing I do know about this topic is that the time it takes for the cars electronics to shut down can cause the battery to go flat in a matter of minutes, or in some cases overnight. My old man has a 1999 7.45i which is gorgeous and has all the options.
    This can get complex so bear with me.
    BMW has a software poackage installed on all cars and this determines the shutdown of the onboard electronis. This turns them off one by one and can take up to 17 mins in total which is a long tme to be running all electrics on a battery.
    Do you have a CD changer in the boot? DVD? Sat Nav in car? Next time you park up outside the house turn the engine off and put your head in the boot and listen for shutdowns and try and hear something not wute turning off.
    Now for the hard to swallow part: BMW and licenced BMW dealers repairers are the only people who can fix this issue as they are the only ones with the software. The software itself costs around £2k which is why not all garages can clear such errors.

Hope any of this is helpful.

Cheers
    Iain

Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,115 Times in 5,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by todd_iain View Post
    One thing I do know about this topic is that the time it takes for the cars electronics to shut down can cause the battery to go flat in a matter of minutes, or in some cases overnight. My old man has a 1999 7.45i which is gorgeous and has all the options.
    This can get complex so bear with me.
    BMW has a software poackage installed on all cars and this determines the shutdown of the onboard electronis. This turns them off one by one and can take up to 17 mins in total which is a long tme to be running all electrics on a battery.
    Do you have a CD changer in the boot? DVD? Sat Nav in car? Next time you park up outside the house turn the engine off and put your head in the boot and listen for shutdowns and try and hear something not wute turning off.
    Now for the hard to swallow part: BMW and licenced BMW dealers repairers are the only people who can fix this issue as they are the only ones with the software. The software itself costs around £2k which is why not all garages can clear such errors.

Hope any of this is helpful.

Cheers
    Iain
    Eh? . Ok for the 745i cos it has an IBS fitted with wake up signal, but not E46.