2005 116 - Car wouldn't start - steering column repaired but not fixed it.

Notices

Thread: 2005 116 - Car wouldn't start - steering column repaired but not fixed it.

Reply to Thread
  1. 2005 116 - Car wouldn't start - steering column repaired but not fixed it. 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    amyp123's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Hatchback

Thanks
    Hello,

I'm really hoping someone can help me!!

I bought my 2005 second hand BMW 1 series back in February and only recently started having issues with it. You will have to bear with me as my knowledge of cars is appalling, so could really do with some advice.

Basically when I press the Start/Stop button, there is a ticking sound coming from the glovebox, the dashboard brings all the lights up and there is a picture of a steering wheel with a padlock. Ultimately, the car won't start. It used to start after a few attempts but now it won't budge.

At first I took the car to BMW who ran an analysis using my key, they said there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. I took it to my local garage who charged me £90 to diagnose my car, they then informed me it would cost £600 to replace the steering coloumn as that is what was causing it. They did this but still the car won't work. They are now saying it is the body control unit, which will cost me a further £380 to repair...I'm getting really fed up :( and am hoping someone can give me some advice.

On another note, the screenwash pump has never worked since I bought the car, could there be a connection?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post, I will appreciate any responses!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

3. Steering column fault 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    quarrymark's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    MANUAL
    Car Body Type:
    CONVERTIBLE

Thanks
    sounds like your local garage have not re-set the ELV counter in the cas unit
    if this has not been re-set then your vehicle basically thinks it still has the old steering column still attatched and is still locking it out to prevent you driving on the faulty column
    hope this helps you