BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2004 E53 X5 electric mirrors and computer

6K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  smeeagain 
#1 ·
Hi

Hoping someone can help me - its my first post !

I have a 3.0 d sport 2004 X5 that I have just purchased. All good so far but the electric mirrors won't fold in when the button was pressed. I took it to BMW and they said the motors were fine but there must a be a wiring issue somewhere ... (clever guys , eh ?) anyway, they hooked the computer up to theirs to see of their was any diagnostic issues but they tell me the computer wouldnt talk to their diagnostics system.

As they want to charge £96/hour to strip the dashboard and go looking to see of they can find the problem, we agreed my best bet is probably to take it to an auto electrician, which I will do, but just wondering of anyone has come across the same problem ?

Thanks
Smee

#3 ·
ok, so I got an auto electrician to look at this for me today

he had two diagnostic computers - one could read it ok and the other couldnt (same issue as BMW dealership)
He was able to control the mirrors up down left right but coudl not get them to fold in. the computer showed them as 'snapped in place@ but if you manually fold them in it didnt show any different
He found two error codes that he says eh has never seen before and that they relate to the software it self and are not BMW error codes

They are as follows; b,3,0,b0 and also b,3,0,b2
Does anyone know what these mean ?

He believes that the onboard computer has never been programmed in the first place to make the mirrors fold in ( I have only had the car two months so dont know if they worked previously)

In addition to knowing the meaning of the codes does anyone know if the computer can be programmed to make the mirrors fold in ?

Thanks

Smee

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.