2004 E46 Touring 320D - Number plate lamps stay on after ignition switched off

Notices

Thread: 2004 E46 Touring 320D - Number plate lamps stay on after ignition switched off

Reply to Thread
  1. 2004 E46 Touring 320D - Number plate lamps stay on after ignition switched off 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    happy_beemer's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320D
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Hi all,

Several months ago one of the number plate bulbs failed on my 2004 E46 320D Touring. Both number plate holders were fitted with standard festoon bulbs which I replaced with canbus error free LED bulbs. So far so good. At the time I noticed one of the bulb holders was new and the other was badly corroded. The rusted holder I coated with ACF50 protective lubricant which is great at protecting electrics from the dreaded rust!

A few days ago I noted both number plate bulbs were still lit, albeit dimly, after the ignition was switched off and lights turned off. These lights come on (dimly) whether the lights are turned on or not. Incidentally, when the lights are switched on, both bulbs light up fully. They come on dimly when the car is unlocked and locked.

I've removed both bulbs, cleaned and replaced. No change. I then removed the complete bulb holder assembly and inspected the wiring which looks intact. Tried the lights/ignition with the assembly loose - no change. Refitted the assembly and both bulbs still lit dimly. The interesting thing is that both bulbs extinguish after about two minutes - as if they're on a timer.

Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated as a complete new bulb holder assembly from BMW costs around £70 + painting, and I'm not convinced it's the problem!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    happy_beemer's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320D
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Had an auto electrician check this out and he suggested that as LED bulbs draw such a small current, when the car self-checks when you turn the ignition on, the small current used to check the bulbs are working is enough to illuminate the LEDs. If the regular festoon bulbs were reinstalled, this would not happen, although I have not tried this.

Car Details
    edber's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E60 520D LCI
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    AUTOMATIC
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Images
    Thanks
    The self check happens in a nano second so I doubt you would even see the bulb light up.
    You have gotten the wrong LED type bulb.Have a read of this Anyone with license plate LED's notice they stay on? - E46Fanatics