Model of Car:
    325XI
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    MANUAL
    Car Body Type:
    SALOON

Thanks
    The local garage diagnosed a faulty ECU on my E46 325XI, because of misfire on four cylinders. The diagnosis was confirmed over the phone by a BMW garage. The local garage had fitted six coils and six plugs earlier. I re-fitted the coils so that they made good contact with the plugs, and the misfires and fault codes are no longer evident. The garage insists that because I agreed to ordering the new ECU I have to pay for it, obviously this is nonsense as I agreed on incorrect information that they supplied. They insist that the ECU is faulty possibly with a possible broken contact, but I see no evidence of this. The ECU is working properly. I know that they can be erratic but there has been no evidence of this either. They garage says that the ordered ECU can only be fitted to my car, is this correct? I understand that it can be fitted to a car with the same parts numbers. The ECU has not been programmed to my car, but it may have been ordered on the chassis or VIN number. Thanks for any advice. Are

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Ronnie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    See above
    Year of Manufacture:
    Never too old, never too new
    Transmission Type:
    Always manual
    Car Body Type:
    Usually 5 doors
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,051 Times in 5,322 Posts
    The ECU will be a virgin fresh ECU that will need to be matched(coded) to your car when it is fitted, most likely the part will be special order and non returnable back to the dealers.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ronnie For This Useful Post:

Are (16-08-2011)

Are
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Are's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325XI
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    MANUAL
    Car Body Type:
    SALOON

Thanks
    Thanks Ronnie, the part as yet is at the BMW dealers, does that make a difference? The Indy was going to go to the BMW dealers to have the new ECU programmed by them today. The Indy had been told over the phone that failure of the ECU was a known problem, and it was on their advice that he recommended that a new ECU was required.
    There is no diagnostic evidence here as far as I can see. I could of course be wrong. The misfires have stopped since the coils have been firmly seated. Are

6. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Car Details
    thepurpleblob's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    840Ci Sport, 330Ci Clubsport, X3 2.0d SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    1999, 2003, 2004
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic, Automatic, Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe, Coupe, SAV
    Images
    Thanks
    If you haven't parted with any money they will have a hard time chasing you up for it, but you'll never be able to go back. Tricky!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to thepurpleblob For This Useful Post:

Are (16-08-2011)

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    ckl139's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320i Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    I agree with the OP to a certain extent, and that is - you (your car) has been mis diagnosed and based on that you agreed to order a part.

If you can get firm evidence that it is the wrong diagnosis, in most courts, you have the better chance of being in the right and winning this argument.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ckl139 For This Useful Post:

Are (16-08-2011)

Are
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Are's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325XI
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    MANUAL
    Car Body Type:
    SALOON

Thanks
    It is tricky, we are in the same club. It's far too expense to go to court on these matters there are no winners. I haven't signed for anything. I should have been more cautious about his diagnostic as he only diagnosed misfires, and BMW advised him over the phone that it was the ECU as he had just replaced all coils and spark plugs. I'm fairly sure that the coils "Bresch" are designed in such a way that they eventually move away from contact with the plugs, the coils body is a only push fit into the rubber spark plug connection sleeve, and the coil body is tapered. Certainly the problems of misfires and fault codes disappeared after the coils had been push back firmly into place. At the moment the garage is entrenched in its position that it is right, but I am still unsure as to whether the ECU at the BMW garage is "returnable" and whether or not it could be used on another vehicle with the same parts nos. A manager who I know at another BMW garage in the same chain says don't pay. I should like to settle this in a reasonable manner, but any gesture on my part will be seen as an absolute sign of weakness. Thanks, Are