2004 E46 320D - If not the MAF sensor, then what?

Notices

Thread: 2004 E46 320D - If not the MAF sensor, then what?

Reply to Thread
  1. 2004 E46 320D - If not the MAF sensor, then what? 
    BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    jordan1990's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 320D SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    I had another thread explaining that I've just bought a 320D and the MAF sensor had just been replaced, and I've had it replaced again with a proper Bosch one.

Ive been driving on the new bosch MAF for a couple of days and its not getting any better, and now the engine light is on. So the MAF sensor has actually been replaced twice, my guess is the reason it was replaced just before i bought it was because it had the same symptoms as it still has now and the diagnostic faults where the same.

I had my local garage do i diagnostic test done and they explained to me it looked as if it is the MAF sensor, but as i said since then it has been replaced with a Bosch one.

So I'm starting to think, maybe is not and has never been the MAF sensor thats the problem. What else could be throwing up faults that appear to be a MAF sensor fault? An air leak of some sort maybe?

Sorry i forgot to mention the symptoms! It "stutters" or appears to be misfiring and won't accelerate once you try and go past about 1800 - 2000rpm slowly, if i accelerate hard from 1100rpm it goes all the way up the rev range with no problem, but accelerating at normal speed once i get up to that rev range it just won't rev. It idles absolutely fine.

Any help would be appreciated, its really starting to get on my nerves now, i just want to be able to drive my new car properly!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Master
    Car Details
    gunslinger1's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    company car
    Year of Manufacture:
    company car
    Transmission Type:
    company car
    Car Body Type:
    company car

Thanks
    after two air mass meters, its still the same , you can safely say it aint that , this is where any fool can read a fault memory with a reader and all of a sudden hes an expert . it can be any thing from a faulty turbo actuator , to the EGR valve .and all the other bits in between . take it to your dealer, they will most prob find the fault with in an hour .

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    mi1ky's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    540i ase
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Sedan

Thanks
    Try clearing engine adaptions. It may have been compensating for the maf as it died

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    lostboy9's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325d m-sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    As above, it could be red turbo hose or hoses from cooler to egr.
    The seals are pretty crappy on most of these types of car.
    Alway worth upgrading them if you can.

Hth

Phil

Car Details
    edber's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E60 520D LCI
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    AUTOMATIC
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Images
    Thanks
    Fuelling issue maybe?
    Try reading up on a faulty rail pressure sensor to see if any of your symptoms match.
    You need to find out which sensor will throw a engine light.

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    geofus's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d Msport E91
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Did you ever sort your problem ?? I have similar issues, I have changed the MAP sensor, cleaned the MAF sensor, cleaned the EGR valve, checked all hoses, checked the vacuum pressure converter, clean oil and filters, new fuel filter, changed both thermostats, cleaned the intake temperature sensor and also run DIS to check for faults and remove them.
    There were no faults relevant to engine problems recorded apart from auxillary heater motor, which I understand is very common and something nobody uses.

The car runs fine apart from a hesitant misfire or stutter between 1800 to 2000 revs, after that its perfect, it does it on gentle acceleration, usually in 3rd gear or at 75- 80mph cruising speed in top gear, just when you need to overtake on the motorway.

Its a 2007 model 320d and the funny thing is when you remove and plug the vacuum pipe to the EGR valve (this stops the EGR valve opening) the symptoms disappear completely but it throws a EML up on the dash.

Anyone know how to programm out this fault code so I can leave the EGR disabled or any idea what the problem is ??