BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2004 E46 318Ci Sport Convertible - Which replacement battery?

5K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  joylove 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I think my battery is on its way out, and having searched on the internet I am a bit confused regarding which battery can replace the OEM one I currently have.

Currently I have Original BMW Battery (filled, not AGM) with part number 61218376451.

I have read that the battery in the convertible is some form of mass damper , so it is a "special anti-vibration" battery. Is this true? I have seen claims but nothing that actually confirms it.

I also read in US forums that the Duralast 92R-DLG is a direct swap. In the UK, I have found the following batteries are being suggested:

- BOSCH S5010 - 5 Year Guarantee Battery
- F18 Varta Silver Dynamic Car Battery (which apparently is the same as the Bosch above)

Would anyone suggest anything else?

If the mass-damper issue is true, would the above batteries be up for the job?

Many thanks,
Sol

See less See more
#2 ·
If you stick that part number into RealOEM it is the battery for a huge number of BMWs so it would not seem to be anything special for a convertible. I replaced mine (not E46) with a Bosch at about half the price of a BMW part and it's been fine. The most important thing is the charge rate and cold-cranking amps - make sure they're the same as the current one (excuse the pun!)

#4 ·
the best/cheapest place for a battery is Vauxhall main dealer. They sell Delco Premiums (GM branded), a top make brand.

The biggest one they do for the petrol V6's is 70aH for £73 inc VAT.

The battery damper is fixed to the car and is a tray on rubber mounts on which the battery sits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.