2004 E46 316ti with no hedgehog?

Notices

Thread: 2004 E46 316ti with no hedgehog?

Reply to Thread
  1. 2004 E46 316ti with no hedgehog? 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    colinwil's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316 1.8ti
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Hi all. I recently bought a second hand 2004 E46 316ti. A very basic spec - with no air conditioning.

So far it all seems fine except for the heater fan. If it's turned to max it works fine. Full speed - lots of air. But if it's turned down to 1, 2 or 3 it doesn't work at all.

I read a bunch of messages in these forums and elsewhere saying it's a common problem caused by a failed final stage resistor - AKA the hedgehog. So I bought a replacement one from Euro car parts.

Today I came to fit it - and it appears that my car doesn't have one. I removed the panel under the steering wheel and followed the very detailed pictures etc. that are available online. But there's no FSR. And no evidence that there's ever been an FSR - no dangling wires, holes where one should go, etc. All there is there is a unit, attached with 3 torx 20 screws with a part "64 51 8 398 838" on it. Seems to be some sort of solenoid thing.

So I'm guessing that maybe the FSR is only fitted to cars with air con.

Does anyone have any experience of this? Presumably there's some other sort of resistor fitted - somewhere that's failed. Or maybe it's the 4-way switch itself. Presumably it's not the actual blower - as it works fine when its on Max.

Any help will be appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    colinwil's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316 1.8ti
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Fixed it

Like I said, the car doesn't have a 'hedgehog'. Instead it's got an older-style resistor pack, next to the blower motor - a sort of wedge shaped thing made of a PCB and an aluminium heatsink. It looks dreadfully cheap - almost guaranteed to fail! But at least it's slightly easier to get to than a FSR.

To find it, open the bonnet. Remove the pollen filter. Remove the tray that the pollen filter sits on (4 Torx 25 screws), plus you need to unclip the cable holder at the front. Remove the heater bulkhead (2 Torx 25 screws). A bit fiddly to remove - (and even worse to put back) - you need to wiggle it past pipes etc. Undo the 4 Torx 15 screws holding the black plastic blower impeller cover and slide it out of the way. The resistor pack sits inside it. Unplug the connector to it, and undo the single Torx 15 screw holding it on. You'll probably find that the spring thing on the back of the PCB has come unsoldered. You can try and solder it back - but that didn't work for me. Replace it (£30), put everything back, swearing at the bulkhead on the way - and you're done
    Last edited by colinwil; 24-07-2012 at 20:58.