Model of Car:
    316i ES
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Hi All I'm new to this forum and BM's so I hope someone could help me. I have a 54plate 316i which has done around 54k and has been regularly serviced. While driving on a motorway the other day, the orange engine warning light appeared although the car was not running any different to normal. After calling in somewhere on the way home, I restarted the car and the EML light was on too now. The car crawled the rest of the way home. Once the engine cooled, the EML light had gone off but the engine light was still on. Does anyone have any similar experiences and does this sound like a common fault or a costly repair? Many thanks in advance for your comments. AB

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Banned
    Car Details
    Ferret's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,639 Posts
    Only way to tell, is to plug it upto a diagnostics machine... It'll tell you the reason for the light being on.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Danny328ci's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328ci SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    Hi Guy's,

Montyb i have a E46 328 ci 1999 and have a very similar problem to yours, i have had it for around 3 or 4 months now where my yellow engine light stays on and sometimes on start up i will get the EML on also the car runs really rough, i then turn the engine off wait for a few seconds i hear i relay click in the engine bay then another click on the right hand side and below the steering wheel i then crack the car up and both lights are off and engine runs normal??!! this can happen once a day or everytime i start the car.

Had it plugged in and the amount of error codes that came up can fill an A4 sheet!! I'd love to know what it is then i will fix it myself.........:( love my car too.

HELP ANYONE??

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Ronnie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    See above
    Year of Manufacture:
    Never too old, never too new
    Transmission Type:
    Always manual
    Car Body Type:
    Usually 5 doors
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,052 Times in 5,322 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny328ci View Post
    Hi Guy's,

Montyb i have a E46 328 ci 1999 and have a very similar problem to yours, i have had it for around 3 or 4 months now where my yellow engine light stays on and sometimes on start up i will get the EML on also the car runs really rough, i then turn the engine off wait for a few seconds i hear i relay click in the engine bay then another click on the right hand side and below the steering wheel i then crack the car up and both lights are off and engine runs normal??!! this can happen once a day or everytime i start the car.

Had it plugged in and the amount of error codes that came up can fill an A4 sheet!! I'd love to know what it is then i will fix it myself.........:( love my car too.

HELP ANYONE??
    You need to get the fault codes read, then cleared, drive the car and when the light comes back on you need to get the codes read again and then post them up here so we can tell you the cause.

Otherwise it will be like us trying to stab something in the pitch black.