Car Details
    sharp2303's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316ti SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Car Body Type:

Hi guys
    Im new to the forum so please excuse any stupid questions.
    After noticing on this forum that a lot of people have HID conversion headlights, i think they look really good and i am interested in converting my E46 compact. But i do not know much about HID conversions so i have a couple of questions...

What is the difference between a HID conversion & replacing halogen bulbs with the good xenon bulbs that are available?

With HID conversions, do you have to change your sidelights and foglights aswell?

Ultimately, i am looking for some recommended Conversion Kits and distributors and also how much am i likely to pay for one?

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Remove Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Joe9087's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 320ci M-Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Car Body Type:
    Thanked 2,700 Times in 2,156 Posts
    Upgrading standard halogen bulbs to xenon bulbs is likely to give you a small improvement in night-time driving, and depending on which bulb you go for, a whiter light. Philips Xtreme Vision or Ultra Blue Vision are known to be very good, these generally cost around £20-£30 for a pair depending where you get them from (eBay, Powerbulbs.com, autobulbsdirect.co.uk)

A HID conversion in my opinion is the better option, as you can get decent kits for around £60. If you want peace of mind, DSK on here has recently purchased a high-quality kit with warranty for just under £100 - check out his thread here - http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...cluded-t27238/

HID's give out a lot more light than standard bulbs or xenon bulbs.
    The light they give out is whiter and the bulbs last for a very long time, several times more than standard bulbs as well as being several times brighter.

There's a variety of colour temps of HID kit you can purchase - the popular one (and best in my opinion) is 6000k - which is pure white, very bright light with a slight bluey tinge. 4500k-5000k is similar but with a tinge of yellow still so not pure white. 8000k is noticeably blue and doesn't give out as much light.

Kits are easy to install, plug n play - you can't really make a mistake! The trickiest part of the installation is mounting the two ballasts - one for each headlight.

There is a How-To on here for HID conversions on an E46 Compact - see here for the process involved: http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...ompact-t17372/

You don't have to change your sidelights or foglights if you go for a HID conversion - bit people often change the sidelights to an LED-based bulb that gives out the same white light as the HIDs rather than keeping the standard yellowy light.

Hope this helps.

BMW Master
    Car Details
    sprout99's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    120d M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Car Body Type:
    HIDS4U 0844 884 2600
    Virtual Daylight 0845 330 6254
    HIDS Direct 0161 793 9236
    M Style 0208 598 9115
    Xenonshop 07934 117900

HID's give out a much stronger light with lower power required. There is known issues with OBC so buy a good kit.

I have osram night breakers at the minute - they are very good for std fit bulbs.

I was planning on converting my E87 but i'm a little nervous due to the complicated CANBUS system fitted to the 1er and 3er.
    2005 120d M Sport
    Black Sapphire