2003 E46 320td - Multifunction Retrofit not working

Notices
 

Thread: 2003 E46 320td - Multifunction Retrofit not working

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38
  1. 2003 E46 320td - Multifunction Retrofit not working 
    #1
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    dnerve's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320td
    Year of Manufacture:
    2004
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hi there,

    A couple of months back, I bought my 1st bimmer as I was looking for a vehicle and got a pretty sweet deal while I was not eyeing this kind of car.

    After some research, I started bringing upgrades (already had sports steering and knob and sports suspensions):OBC, coding AKMB and GM5 to switch to km and lt and locking behaviour with NCS Expert. So far so good!

    Went on with retrofitting multifunctions buttons on the steering wheel. Checked all connectors, slip ring etc, they wont light up and are unresponsive (horn works well and no airbag light on)

    While ordering the OBC stalk got a cheap deal and came with a slip ring so I decided to swap thinking existing slip ring would be faulty: Same results.

    I decided to check further the wiring behind DSC button and Radio/Fan controls but saw nothing but there were some remnants of a non-operational Hands Free kit (Nokia FHU-5) which I removed alongside with a single yellow cable running from it to the back of the radio.

    I cannot see any of the nokia cables messing with the harness from the steering wheel behind the slip ring or the central console just a couple of black leads running on the lower console, past the OBD port, probably to the speakers?

    In any case, the buttons wont light-up or work just as disconnected (trying turning the wheel to check slip rings). What am I missing? Where else should I look?

    Thanks for reading & the help!
    Last edited by dnerve; 23-09-2013 at 19:50.
     
     

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements
     

  3.  
    #2
    Moderator
    Car Details
    Clavurion's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E39 530d / E53 3.0d
    Year of Manufacture:
    2003 / 2006
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,344
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 266 Times in 253 Posts
    Have you checked the simple continuity of the slip ring between its connectors?

    Wiring on the button panel according to WDS:
    Pin 1, Blue, Ground
    Pin 2, Gray, Voltage from fuse F9 (5 A)
    Pin 3, White, K-bus
    (Pin 4, Red, Cruise control connection to DDE)

    Ground and voltage easily checked with a multimeter. Other measuring point for K-bus connection can be found on many other modules or K-bus connecting point behind glove box.
     
     

  4.  
    #3
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    dnerve's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320td
    Year of Manufacture:
    2004
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clavurion View Post
    Have you checked the simple continuity of the slip ring between its connectors?

    Wiring on the button panel according to WDS:
    Pin 1, Blue, Ground
    Pin 2, Gray, Voltage from fuse F9 (5 A)
    Pin 3, White, K-bus
    (Pin 4, Red, Cruise control connection to DDE)

    Ground and voltage easily checked with a multimeter. Other measuring point for K-bus connection can be found on many other modules or K-bus connecting point behind glove box.

    Yes, both slip ring's continuity is good....Fuse F9 huh? let me check that one, did not think of looking in the fuse box...

    Edit: No9 is fine and in one piece, seems many other systems depend on it and are working fine.

    How can I check voltage on the slip ring output without triggering the AirBag Light? I can't do it with the airbag plugged in and battery on....Any other ideas?
    Last edited by dnerve; 24-09-2013 at 02:59.
     
     

  5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements
     

  6.  
    #4
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    dnerve's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320td
    Year of Manufacture:
    2004
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Do you guys know where the mfl wires run after the slip ring? I need to check the other end as it just seems completely disconnected...:(
     
     

  7.  
    #5
    Moderator
    Car Details
    edber's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E60 520D LCI
    Year of Manufacture:
    2007
    Transmission Type:
    AUTOMATIC
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    edber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    South ireland
    Posts
    4,953
    Images
    6
    Thanks
    636
    Thanked 689 Times in 646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dnerve View Post
    Do you guys know where the mfl wires run after the slip ring? I need to check the other end as it just seems completely disconnected...:(
    Forget about the slipring for now but the multi buttons connector goes to the 4 pin socket on the slipring.
    Can you explain exactly where you routed the wires to during the retrofit and ill see if I can spot any fault.
    I have done this retrofit and it worked first go.
    Oh and hello from Ireland too are you far from Tipperary?
     
     

  8.  
    #6
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    dnerve's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320td
    Year of Manufacture:
    2004
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edber View Post
    Forget about the slipring for now but the multi buttons connector goes to the 4 pin socket on the slipring.
    Can you explain exactly where you routed the wires to during the retrofit and ill see if I can spot any fault.
    I have done this retrofit and it worked first go.
    Oh and hello from Ireland too are you far from Tipperary?
    Hey there, I'm in Galway!

    As for the routing of wire, I thought it was plug and play. Had the sport steering with no mfl, bought the mfl top and swapped it. I of course made sure that the harness was hooked in the slip ring. I haven't read anywhere that cables need to be pulled...
     
     

  9.  
    #7
    Moderator
    Car Details
    edber's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E60 520D LCI
    Year of Manufacture:
    2007
    Transmission Type:
    AUTOMATIC
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    edber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    South ireland
    Posts
    4,953
    Images
    6
    Thanks
    636
    Thanked 689 Times in 646 Posts
    Ahhhh so you just bought the buttons with a ribbon cable that has a white connector on the end of it,yes.?
    There is a bit of wiring involved im afraid but its not rocket science to do.
     
     

  10.  
    #8
    Moderator
    Car Details
    Clavurion's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E39 530d / E53 3.0d
    Year of Manufacture:
    2003 / 2006
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,344
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 266 Times in 253 Posts
    Check the volute spring connector (X10170) if you even have the wiring for the MF feature. The previous list following the pin number and wire colour on connector X10170

    Pin 1, Blue, Ground -> Pin 7, Brown/Black
    Pin 2, Gray, Voltage from fuse F9 (5 A) -> Pin 10, Violet/Yellow
    Pin 3, White, K-bus -> Pin 9, White/Red/Yellow
    (Pin 4, Red, Cruise control connection to DDE -> Pin 8, Blue/Black)
     
     

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Clavurion For This Useful Post:

    dnerve (25-09-2013)

  12.  
    #9
    Moderator
    Car Details
    edber's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E60 520D LCI
    Year of Manufacture:
    2007
    Transmission Type:
    AUTOMATIC
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    edber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    South ireland
    Posts
    4,953
    Images
    6
    Thanks
    636
    Thanked 689 Times in 646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clavurion View Post
    Check the volute spring connector (X10170) if you even have the wiring for the MF feature. The previous list following the pin number and wire colour on connector X10170

    Pin 1, Blue, Ground -> Pin 7, Brown/Black
    Pin 2, Gray, Voltage from fuse F9 (5 A) -> Pin 10, Violet/Yellow
    Pin 3, White, K-bus -> Pin 9, White/Red/Yellow
    (Pin 4, Red, Cruise control connection to DDE -> Pin 8, Blue/Black)
    X10170 is a green 10 pin connector but that wont be prewired,he will have to add three wires in there.One wire to pin 8,pin 9 and pin 10.
    Pins 9 and 10 go to the lcm wiring(tap into two wires)and pin 8 goes out to the dde.
     
     

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to edber For This Useful Post:

    dnerve (25-09-2013)

  14.  
    #10
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    dnerve's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320td
    Year of Manufacture:
    2004
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edber View Post
    X10170 is a green 10 pin connector but that wont be prewired,he will have to add three wires in there.One wire to pin 8,pin 9 and pin 10.
    Pins 9 and 10 go to the lcm wiring(tap into two wires)and pin 8 goes out to the dde.
    Ok, so it's not pre-wired then...

    I got this off ebay, thinking that was just for cruise control functionality but looks like the whole thing is needed for either of the buttons to work?

    The wiring in this tutorial is the wiring I need to do in order to make it work?

     
     

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Tags for this Thread

View Tag Cloud

Posting Permissions
  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts