2003 E46 320d - GM5 Module UK Repair Service??? (FIXED) - Page 12

Notices

Thread: 2003 E46 320d - GM5 Module UK Repair Service??? (FIXED)

Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2789101112
    Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,115 Times in 5,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcoupw1 View Post
    DOES THE GM5 module control anything else such as the immobiliser i unplugged mine the other day and now my injectors arent working.
    You have an EWS module problem, not GM5.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    colin.ab's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Hi All,

Yes I am still doing the GM5 repairs. PM me or see my web site for details. Coupe require careful diagnosis before condeming the module, as coupe are prone to having failing door lock actuators. About a third of the enquiries I get on coupes and cabriolets are door locks, the rest are module faults.

re: injectors
    The GM5 does not interface with the EWS imobiliser. Nor does it affect the injectors. There must be some other fault which is causing a non start. As NealP said, you probably have a EWS fault.
    . What are the symptoms?
    If there fuel pressure?
    Is there a spark?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to colin.ab For This Useful Post:

ash187 (12-10-2011),steviexox (05-03-2011)

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Assimilator1's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330d SE 184 bhp
    Year of Manufacture:
    11/2001
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    I know this is an old thread now, but this info might be handy for some.

I see one of the major problems of driving around without the GM5 module is that the wipers don't work, well I'm pretty sure I've found a temporary work around for that. Simply power up the switching side of the wiper relay!

Finding the right wire was the tricky bit, but looking at the WDS Component & Signal info>Signals>Signal names with W>WI1 Wiper relay (speed 1) is the 1 you'd want to feed.
    Looking at Complete Vehicle>Body>Wipe & Wash functions shows you the wiring diagram for the motor & relay etc.

The wiper relay is K11 in the relay box LH side of the engine bay next to the windscreen, photo at WDS Component & Signal info>Components>K_Relays>K11 Wiper Relay.
    The actual wire at the relay plug you need to power up is shown here Component & Signal info>Components>A_Control units, modules>A1 General Module Control Unit> (then pick the one relevant to your car). For mine it's the brown/blue wire. This is the switching wire for the relay, power this wire up & it will switch the relay on to speed 1 giving you normal wiper speed. Note it will be always on when its powered up & when you disconnect it the wipers will stop dead & not park (the parking power is feed through the GM5).
    Main power for the wiper motor has its own seperate feed from fuse 59 which appears to be from a main ignition feed, so no probs there .

Obviously it will be a PITA to switch on/off, probably the best way would be to feed the switching wire is to hook it up to a cigarette light plug, then you can plug/unplug it relatively easily (wire going through the door & under the bonnet!). Better than nothing!
    Or you could power up the switching wire from the main power to the relay plug, but any fused feed will do, relay switching current draw is very low (less than 1A IIRC).

Unfortunately your washers will still not work.
    Helping scientific research with just my PC via Distributed Computing - Skynet-POGS, Asteroids@Home, Folding@H, Rosetta@H, MilkyWay@H, LHC@H, SETI@H & Muon1 - Team AnandTech .
    Projects list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_distributed_computing_projects

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/assimilator1/330d

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    colin.ab's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Some people who repair these modules (no names advertising but (cough..) I've done it before.....)
    also offer a loan module service. At least the wipers, windows and doro locks will work!

In essence it is possible.

The wiper switch goes to the GM5 and the wiper relay is controlled by the GM5. a few wire links and it should work. Also oen wire in the wrong place and poof... an explensive puff of smoke!!.
    Last edited by colin.ab; 20-10-2011 at 20:49. Reason: correction

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Assimilator1's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330d SE 184 bhp
    Year of Manufacture:
    11/2001
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Yea true, that's why I was very specific about which wire & pointing out to pick the right car
    Helping scientific research with just my PC via Distributed Computing - Skynet-POGS, Asteroids@Home, Folding@H, Rosetta@H, MilkyWay@H, LHC@H, SETI@H & Muon1 - Team AnandTech .
    Projects list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_distributed_computing_projects

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/assimilator1/330d

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2789101112