Model of Car:
    325i M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Hi guys sorry to revive this thread but I'm trying to do the same but have bought second hand CCFL's already fitted into projector lamps.

It came with a relay and wiring configuration from the previous owner and he sent me some instructions:
    "You'll find the relay for the angel eyes has live/negative terminals, one single trigger wire, and the feed wires for the ballasts. Before you connect the terminals mount the relay as its fiddly and you don't want zapped! Behind the bulkhead is the negative terminal. Connect here. Lift the seal and open the live terminal cover. Connect here. Run you cables and connect the trigger wire to the sidelight live."
    This information is to have the CCFL's as DRL (daytime running lights) am I right?

I'm not interested in having them as DRL's and want to do what d9n_dk has stated. Can I reuse the replay to my advantage for this?

Could I:

connect up the terminals as above and run the feed wires to the ballasts, then take a feed off the existing sidelights to the ballast connectors and run the trigger wire to the driver footwell light?

Would this work or am I missing a trick?

Cheers

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    sam1832's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    convertable Msport
    Thanks
    the instructions that you have been given are NOT to run them as DRL's, the trigger wire is connected to your sidelights, so when you turn your side lights on the angel eyes will come on

from how i read those instructions, you have a realy that is opperated by an input signal (from your sidelights) the relay is basically a switch that is controlled by a voltage being applied. so side lights off rely (switch) is open, side lights on relay (switch) is closed
    so i take it your relay has 3 terminals?
    one trigger
    one -ve
    one +ve
    the +ve will need to go to a PERMANANT live, and -ve will go to a good ground on the chasis, as i said above your trigger will need to go to your side light positive

my angel eyes are wired using a relay like this, there is a DIY in my signature

if you want to wire your angel eyes to come on when you unlock/ off when you lock with the interior lights, as i say further back in this post, you will need use some diodes. run a wire from your foot well lights to your trigger wire, put a diode just after your footwell light (in the correct direction) connect into your trigger wire, you will also need to put a diode into your trigger wire near your side light (assumeing you still have side lights in)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sam1832 For This Useful Post:

parsco (18-09-2010)

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    parsco's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sam1832 View Post
    the instructions that you have been given are NOT to run them as DRL's, the trigger wire is connected to your sidelights, so when you turn your side lights on the angel eyes will come on

from how i read those instructions, you have a realy that is opperated by an input signal (from your sidelights) the relay is basically a switch that is controlled by a voltage being applied. so side lights off rely (switch) is open, side lights on relay (switch) is closed
    so i take it your relay has 3 terminals?
    one trigger
    one -ve
    one +ve
    the +ve will need to go to a PERMANANT live, and -ve will go to a good ground on the chasis, as i said above your trigger will need to go to your side light positive

my angel eyes are wired using a relay like this, there is a DIY in my signature

if you want to wire your angel eyes to come on when you unlock/ off when you lock with the interior lights, as i say further back in this post, you will need use some diodes. run a wire from your foot well lights to your trigger wire, put a diode just after your footwell light (in the correct direction) connect into your trigger wire, you will also need to put a diode into your trigger wire near your side light (assumeing you still have side lights in)

Thanks

You've got it spot on, the guy who sent them to me said exactly the same thing. When it comes to putting a wire from my footwell light to the trigger wire I understand putting a diode on that wire but why would I need one on the trigger wire too? (I've been told that I will need to leave my sidelight bulbs in and tuck them out the way or I'll get a bulb out warning light).

Thanks again

Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    sam1832's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    convertable Msport
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by parsco View Post
    Thanks

You've got it spot on, the guy who sent them to me said exactly the same thing. When it comes to putting a wire from my footwell light to the trigger wire I understand putting a diode on that wire but why would I need one on the trigger wire too? (I've been told that I will need to leave my sidelight bulbs in and tuck them out the way or I'll get a bulb out warning light).

Thanks again
    yes taking the bulb out will give you an error, so leaving them in is an option,
    you need the diode on your triger wire to stop you side lights comeing on with the interior lights,

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sam1832 For This Useful Post:

parsco (19-09-2010)

BMW Master
    Car Details
    d9n_dk's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    ive not yet done this to mine as my car is still inthe garage having its gearbox rebuilt due to te torque converter going but as soon as i get it bk im going to do the wiring as we spoke about earlier in the post

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    parsco's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    I got them fitted today but didn't have any diodes to do my other mod so that will have to wait. They look amazing My only concern is that if I do this mod that I want to do they are not that bright when the engine is off, but I suppose they will still look good in the dark.

So just to clarify I will need:

- 2 diodes
    - wire

One of the diodes goes on the wire from the footwell lights to the existing trigger wire. The other diode goes between the new wire (attached to the trigger wire) and the sidelight +ve feed. (which way round will it need to go here?)

Sorry for all the questions but it's getting me all confused

Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    sam1832's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    convertable Msport
    Thanks
    both the diodes will need to point away from the footwell/side lights, diodes only let current go one way. so you want the current to go from your side/footwell lights to the relay not the other way

they shouldnt be any dimmer when run with the engine off, mine arnt

BMW Master
    Car Details
    d9n_dk's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    hey guys right i finally got around to wiring it all up looks amazing but i have one problem when my engine is running with sidelights on i have 2 warning bulb out lights on my dash even though all the lights are working any ideas how to get around this

BMW Master
    Car Details
    d9n_dk's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    im guessing it thinks there is a bulb out somewhere but there aint

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123