Model of Car:
    320d se
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Please help -i have looked at countless instructions on youtube etc.

They all say locate red/white/yellow dot wire in ecu/dme

I aint got one that colour so which one is it?

E46 320d 2003

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    mart33uk's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d se
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Its the red and white wire inside the ecu cover - the other trigger goes to the driverside footwell light - this is tricky and blind but i managed it ok.
    Angel eyes come on when you unlock the car and stay on for a short time after locking - also on all the time when engine running - if you just want them on with the lights then forget about the ecu wire and wire direct to sidelights.

Sorted

BMW Master
    Car Details
    d9n_dk's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    hi guys i was looking at the old thread and just wanted to ask a question im doing the same thing and just wanted to know do i just link a live feed from the footwell lamp to the sidelight live therefore the lights will come on when car unlocked and they can still be turned on by the side light switch?

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    sam1832's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    convertable Msport
    Thanks
    what sort of angel eyes do you have?

no you cant wire them like that, because in theorey when the sidelights are on the footwell lights will be on and vircer-versa

the angel eyes that people are talking about here have two trigger wires(to turn them on) so one goes to side lights and the other goes to the footwell lights, the triggers are not connected but both opperate a relay which switches on the angel eyes

if you dont have two triggers, i would wire the sidelights in to the angel eyes, so they opperate as normal, but put a diode in the correct place
    then run a wire from your footwell light put a diode in to the wire (facing the correct way) and link into your wireing,

i will draw you a wireing diagram if you dont know what i mean lol

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sam1832 For This Useful Post:

d9n_dk (10-09-2010)

BMW Master
    Car Details
    d9n_dk's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sam1832 View Post
    what sort of angel eyes do you have?

no you cant wire them like that, because in theorey when the sidelights are on the footwell lights will be on and vircer-versa

the angel eyes that people are talking about here have two trigger wires(to turn them on) so one goes to side lights and the other goes to the footwell lights, the triggers are not connected but both opperate a relay which switches on the angel eyes

if you dont have two triggers, i would wire the sidelights in to the angel eyes, so they opperate as normal, but put a diode in the correct place
    then run a wire from your footwell light put a diode in to the wire (facing the correct way) and link into your wireing,

i will draw you a wireing diagram if you dont know what i mean lol
    hi mate thanks for the reply i just have the standard ccfl rings and wanted them to come on as i unlock my car but also be able to turn them on from the sidelight switch but as im no leccy i wasnt sure how to ive seen it on other cars and wanted to attempt it by myself
    ill be honest a picture would be great as im in the dark with this im guessing a diode will only allow currents to flow one way, i have them wired to my sidelights at the mo and work fine just wanted to go that extra step any help would be great thank you

BMW Master
    Car Details
    d9n_dk's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    it just crossed my mind instead of using diodes and things (please dont laugh when i say this lol)im punching in the dark at the mo assuming the footwell lamps have their on lives from their own doors switches if i was to say take the live cable out of the drivers footwell lamp and connect it to a cable running to each sidelamp live therefore they would come on when the doors are unlocked and when the side lamps are turned on it wont turn the drivers footwell lamp on as that live would of been disconnected to that lamp and then to get it bk working could i just link off from the passenger side footwell live or am i barking up the wrong tree

BFuk Moderator
    Car Details
    Martyn D.'s Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330 ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by d9n_dk View Post
    it just crossed my mind instead of using diodes and things (please dont laugh when i say this lol)im punching in the dark at the mo assuming the footwell lamps have their on lives from their own doors switches if i was to say take the live cable out of the drivers footwell lamp and connect it to a cable running to each sidelamp live therefore they would come on when the doors are unlocked and when the side lamps are turned on it wont turn the drivers footwell lamp on as that live would of been disconnected to that lamp and then to get it bk working could i just link off from the passenger side footwell live or am i barking up the wrong tree
    I think you'll find that if you do that you will get back feed from the side lights so when they are turned on it will feed back to the footwell lamps, the only way to stop it is to put a relay in the live from the footwell to the lights then you won't get back feed.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Martyn D. For This Useful Post:

d9n_dk (10-09-2010)

BMW Master
    Car Details
    d9n_dk's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Martyn D. View Post
    I think you'll find that if you do that you will get back feed from the side lights so when they are turned on it will feed back to the footwell lamps, the only way to stop it is to put a relay in the live from the footwell to the lights then you won't get back feed.
    thanks for the reply
    a relay or a diode which would be better
    can u think of another way we havent covered yet mate

BFuk Moderator
    Car Details
    Martyn D.'s Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330 ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by d9n_dk View Post
    thanks for the reply
    a relay or a diode which would be better
    can u think of another way we havent covered yet mate
    Possible diode would be easier, a relay will be bit more bulky and are usually used for higher current, just make sure its the correct way round as it only allows current to flow one way. I think thats about the only way you can do it if theres only one swtiching wire.

Edit...make sure you wire to the inverter not direct to the angel eyes themselves (if you're using angel eyes)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Martyn D. For This Useful Post:

d9n_dk (10-09-2010)

BMW Master
    Car Details
    d9n_dk's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Martyn D. View Post
    Possible diode would be easier, a relay will be bit more bulky and are usually used for higher current, just make sure its the correct way round as it only allows current to flow one way. I think thats about the only way you can do it if theres only one swtiching wire.

Edit...make sure you wire to the inverter not direct to the angel eyes themselves (if you're using angel eyes)
    yer i got the ccfl angel eyes i was going to wire it to before the inverter

so would that be ok the 2nd way i thought with using the live from one footwell with a diode but replace it with running a cable from the other side footwell lamp

this may sound a silly question but is there any speacial diode i should get or are they all the same and how do u know what way to fit it is the right way for the current flow and can the diode go anywhere in that cable or best at the end near the headlights

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/100-x-1n4148-S...item518ff60b70

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast