BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2003 E46 318i - PDC Rear Sensor Fault?

6K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  boyfromnowhere 
#1 ·
Hey guys.

I just washed the car today, and before this my rear PDC was working fine...After washing it seems to be working weirdly, when in reverse i get a series of long beeps and then nothing(if there is no car behind). Is there something wrong? Could water have got in to sensors?( i was using hose pipe to wash..)

#7 ·
i had the same happen to me, washed the car and then the same problem as you have, i too was told to let the car dry out, the next day the sensors worked yipee, but then they started to play up again , i listenend to the sensors and 1 of them wasnt clicking, i now need to replace this , why should washing a bmw
CAUSE SUCH A PROBLEM EH ? Next time im buying a skoda

good luck , try letting them dry out for a day or two

#13 ·
taken from ebay listing:

Part 66206989067 (Ultrasonic-sensor) was found on the following vehicles:

E46: Details on E46
E46 320i Sedan
E46 323Ci Convertible
E46 323Ci Coupe
E46 325Ci Coupe
E46 325Ci Convertible
E46 325i Touring
E46 325i Sedan
E46 325xi Sedan
E46 325xi Touring
E46 328Ci Coupe
E46 330Ci Convertible
E46 330Ci Coupe
E46 330i Sedan
E46 330xi Sedan
E46 M3 Coupe
E46 M3 Convertible

#14 ·
I've got one for £32 quid off eBay now...waiting for it to come.

Can someone instruct me on how to fit it? Is it as simple as just disconnecting the old one and plugging in this one? Also how does one remove the black trim?

Thanks

#15 ·
mine has arrived, well it arrived yesterday, fitted today, and working great.

to get mine out, i just lied on my back under rear of car, put my hand and fingers under bumper, unplugged wiring loom, and the PDC is held in by two clips, one is very easy access, other needs a small thin screwdriver to locate, then just push from outside (push lens sensor) inwards and withdraw.

to fit new one, just clean dirt from inside guide tunnel, then feed sensor from under bumper and push outwards to bumper, it will stop at clips and go no further.

then refit wire, making sure you get wire right way round.

2 mins job in total.

#17 ·
I've just been having the same problems as you lot, i've also got mine on a black strip, mine's a CI also, but its just not the M bumper. I don't want to give anyone any bad news, but i got mine from GSF (German Swedish French) Car Parts in Birmingham, they were £3.24 each, i got 2 just incase.

As you say, pretty easy to fit. I think its when there is water inside the actual sensor, not just when they're wet.

#20 ·
After trawling through a lot of threads,could not find a definitive answer to the sensor problem ie;clicking=working,not clicking=not working,I found that one of my sensors was clicking slightly quieter than the other 3. I obtained a replacement from a breaker and bingo,job done,I reckon that if you get a good sensor and use process of elimination you should come up trumps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.