2003 E46 318ci - VVT Valvetronic motor diagnosing HELP!!!

Notices

Thread: 2003 E46 318ci - VVT Valvetronic motor diagnosing HELP!!!

Reply to Thread
  1. 2003 E46 318ci - VVT Valvetronic motor diagnosing HELP!!! 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Omar007's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318ci 2000cc
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Hi Guys,

I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out on diagnosing the VVT motor.

I hooked my car up with INPA/DIS and it came up with 2 codes: 2862- Variable valve gear- voltage supply, power output stage- Deactivation faulty- Fault currently not present- Servomotor
    & 2865- Power supply limit VVT- emergency (Limp home mode).

What I've done so far:

I have a brand new battery put in 2 months ago.
    I replaced the VVT relay (K6316 Relay) with a new one.
    I replaced the VVT motor with a second hand unit.

Symptoms:

PS. Car always starts without a fail regardless if cold/hot start.

When I start the engine, Check engine light & EML lights up & stays lit, with loss of power & won't rev over 2000rpm (Limp home mode).

When I switch it off & restart, check engine light remains on but EML light goes away with full power though sluggish but car would rev upto redline. (NOT Limp mode)

I can drive all day without any problems as such as long as I restart the car should I switch it off.

I have access to a multimeter, however I don't know the correct voltage/amp/ohms to look for in the connections/connectors etc.

Also should the motor spin at all or move when keys are set to ignition with engine off?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Master
    Car Details
    gunslinger1's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    company car
    Year of Manufacture:
    company car
    Transmission Type:
    company car
    Car Body Type:
    company car

Thanks
    first off , i think its a bad idea replacing with second hand parts as you dont know the quality of that part.
    the VVT motor you have taken off , we will test this as i suspect that this part is faulty , get your multi meter , select ohms , right ohms measures electrical risistance , put one end of the meter on one of the terminals on the VVT motor only ( dont let it touch any thing else only that one terminal ) with the black lead put it on the motors caseing . you are testing the windings for shorting to ground . if you get any kind of risistance reading at all , the motor is scrap , you should get a reading of OL thats what the fluk meter reads . its very common that these pack in , as i have done a couple in december last year .