BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2002 E46 330i - Fuel level not updating?

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Christoff330 
#1 ·
Hello all, wondering if you can help.. have a problem and not sure where to start looking!

I've had a problem with the fuel gauge since I bought the car, whenever I go to the petrol station to refill, the fuel level on the fuel gauge doesn't update. What I have to do is essentially restart the instrument cluster by removing the fuse and replacing it, this seems to clear its memory and update my fuel level. However, in the meantime deleting all my clock settings, average speed, tripmeters.

I knew I had a dodgy sender on the fuel pump, have just replaced the pump and sender on the drivers side. This hasnt cured the problem, does anyone know if this will be an electronics problem, ie communication between the dash and the fuel sender or an instrument cluster problem?

I'm mystified! Hope you can help :)

My car, by the way, is a 2002 330 saloon. 68000 miles.

Thanks

Chris

#7 ·

Have replaced the drivers side sensor, the one integrated with the pump, I'd assume this was a master sensor of sorts? Reckon its worth replacing passenger side as well?

Just seems strange that the dash sees the right fuel level, just not until I've reset the instrument cluster?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.