Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    This seems to be a common thread but bare with me. Firstly I only have one key, it starts the car and its the 3 button type... Unlock > lock > tailgate.

It didn't work when I got the car whatsoever, so I proceeded to change the battery. Tried the 2 programming methods that you can use if you don't have a working key.. Turning ignition to 1 accessory and also turning it to 2 the run position. Mainly because each post I seemed to read told me to switch it to accessory then the other said to turn it to run or position 2 before start. I have also switching the ignition on and off 5 times in both positions to reprogram the key.

Me being me didn't think to check the output voltage of the battery that was already on the transponder, which happened to be normal. just above 3 volts. So then I proceeded to check the 3 buttons with a multi meter. They are all fully operational. The car just wont accept or aknowledge the key at all.

Here is what I do. I open the car, get into it then close the door, Not locking it. Then i proceed to turn the ignition to 1, or 2 (tried both combinations and the on/off 5 times in both positions) then I remove the key and hold the unlock button,. Then whilst holding the unlock button firmly I press the lock button 3 times then release the unlock button.

And nothing happens.. nothing at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If it were a Infra red remote I could test it with my infra red camera to see if it is putting out a signal, but I'm guessing its a radio transmitter instead.
    Last edited by Paddy2bsure; 21-09-2011 at 09:07. Reason: Title please - Year / Type / Model / Problem - thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Paddy2bsure's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    9-5 Aero 2.3T
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Moved to the electrical forum - you have more chance of getting a response in here as it may be a general BMW issue rather than a specific E46 one
    E46 330i Touring (Sold)

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    dead_valentine's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    I doubt anybody will be able to help to be honest! I'm going to see if I can get a reading from the transponder chip to actually eliminate either the key or the car.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Right, I just checked that and the key puts out a signal

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    colin.ab's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Okay I'm here. I should be the best person to sort this out.

1. Try the procedure on my web site for programing the keys:
    http://bmwgm5.info/Key-recode.html

If that does not work, there is some other fault.
    Can you try coding your keys to a friends E46 car? It should do the c/l

If it is not the key, which by what I have read, it could is probably the FZV module.

The FZV module on your car is under the spoiler on the rear hatch. You need to open the glass, prise off the plastic cover on the under side. The tabs often break :-( But the cover can be glued back on ;-)

Under the cover are four 10mm nuts. Undo and very carefully remove the spoiler. There are wires attached. They are delecate and break easily. Have an assistant help hold it.

Under the spoiler, you will be a clear plastic sheet, under which is the FZV. Check for water ingress. Find the 3w black connector. There should be two wires with +12v (one of which is on with the radio). The other (blue/red) should have +5v. If this not the case, there is a problem.

Contact me if you get stuck, either email, PM or phone. Number is on my web site!

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Hi colin.ab, I have the touring model!

BMW Master
    Car Details
    mrwhite's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325ti SE + Sport Pack
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Compact
    Images
    Thanks
    Can I just add before taking off glass or whatever try reprogramming it, but with all the doors open.

sounds odd, but I couldnt do mine with the doors closed when I changed the battery, yet it worked with the on off 5 times method with the doors open... worth a try

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    bennyboy2005's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320D SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    i had same issuse

managed to reprogram with this method

If for some reason your car forgets your key's RF id then it will need to be recoded. Below are the steps to recode the key to the car. This works on both the old key and the new diamond shape keys. Have all the keys with you when recoding! Old Key/New Key information.

Step 1. Get in the car and shut all the doors.

Step 2. Put a key in the ignition and turn it to Accessory and within 5 seconds, turn the ignition Off and remove the key.

Step 3. Press and hold the Unlock (Arrow) button and press and release the Lock button three times within 10 seconds. Release the Unlock button and the car should lock and then unlock the doors to let you know you did it right. Repeat step 3 for any other keys within 30 seconds.

Step 4. Insert a key into the ignition and turn it to Accessory. This terminates the key coding procedure.

If it doesn't work try it again. The timing is not critical. If you have tried it several times and it doesn't work then something must be wrong with the key or

The order in which the keys are initialized is not critical. If they are not initialized in the same order as they were originally the key memory functions will not be assigned to the correct key.

Don't like my instructions then you can read instructions posted on the net by other people, although they emphasize things that just aren't that important.

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Hi Bennyboy2005 and mrwhite, I have tried both y0our methods quite a few times. I do have a friend with a similar age bmw that I could try programming my key to, but as far as the multi meter is concerned there is an output when i press any of the buttons so I am pretty certain that the key is not at fault. I just tried it with all the doors open but can I ask do you open the tailgate too?

Thanks

Glen

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Tried all the methods that I can find, also as some people say to switch the ignition to 1, accessory position and others say to switch the ignition to 2, the on position.. I have tried all combinations at both positions and my last avenue is to check with my friends car if i can program my key to it.

If the box is water damaged it won't be much of a problem for me to rebuild the circuit board and replace any damaged components. Either way I'll post on here my findings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast