2002, 52 Reg
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Images
    Thanks
    Hi Guys,

Apologies if I am asking questions that have already been discussed elsewhere, but I am looking at upgrading the interior lights in my E46 to LEDs.

Are there any that that you have used and would recommend? I.e reliable, bright, good colour and no error messages. Im in two minds how to do this. Whether to go for a complete kit (though ive noticed that a number of 'full kits' out there are lacking at least some of the bulbs, such as in the boot, glovebox or rear columns) so as to guarentee a uniform brightness and colour throughout the car or buy them all seperately. I guess the benefit of buying them seperately would allow for bulbs of various qualities to be purchased for their specific chosen location. If anybody has any experience of this and is pleased with the results, if they could list the bulbs purchased for each light it would be greatly appreciated.

With regards colour, do most people tend to stick with white throughout the inside? If not, pictures of other examples would be useful in choosing. If it might influence any decision, my interior is all black. Ive seen a few people have opted for different coloured reading lights or vanity mirror lights for practical reasons but not sure I see the point in this really.

Thanks a lot in advance for all your help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    SlowTech's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,799 Times in 3,107 Posts
    Try SSDD, they won't be the cheapest but at least you know they'll be error free and work

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SlowTech For This Useful Post:

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Spirit's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e36 323i se saloon
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,936 Times in 2,212 Posts
    I have a full blue led kit off ebay on my e36 and cost about 20 quid and error free

6. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Car Details
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxCeltic32's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320D SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    2002, 52 Reg
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Images
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advice SlowTech. I went on the SSDD website and saw that they have an E46 saloon LED interior light package. This comprises the two footwell units and 3 bulbs (one for the front centre dome and two for the rear courtesy lights - which I presume are the rear pillar lights). Although there arent cheap at £48 I guess you get what you pay for, and from the pictures they look really good.

Anyway, as I am wanting to replace all of the bulbs I contacted them to ask if they also stocked seperate bulbs for remaining lights (2 x front map lights, glovebox and boot - i think thats the lot???). SSDD got back to me in under an hour and they said that although they do not stock all of the bulbs, if I provide the length of the feston bulbs for the boot and glovebox they will source suitable replacements that will match (as close as possible) those which they stock. I dont have any links to the company, just thought i'd point out how helpful they have been so far.

Incidentally, they do a number plate LED kit which looks as good as the interior set for £35 which I think I will get first. If this is as good as it looks in the picture then it could well pursuade me to splay out the rest to get the interior kitted out.

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    jcjdavis1's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    323ise
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Hi. Have a look at LED festoon bulbs on Ebay, you might find what you want-
    http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_nkw=led%20f...d=250989763281
    I got error free number plate ones and they are very good. Jim
    The older I get the wrong bit gets stiff !!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jcjdavis1 For This Useful Post:

Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320D SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    2002, 52 Reg
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Images
    Thanks
    Just ordered some RDASH number plate LEDs from Chromium Tech, they're 18 LEDs in each unit and cost £33 for the pair - not cheap but they look to be pretty decent.

http://www.chromiumtech.co.uk/produc...ID=150&cID=110

I'll update with feedback once they arrive and I get round to fitting them in case anybody else is interested. I'll try and post some pics too.

Next step - interior LED's.......

Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320D SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    2002, 52 Reg
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Images
    Thanks
    Sorry for not uploading any pictures, I dont have an online album thing set up to do this. Very pleased with the results though, they've made a massive difference.

Ordered the 'E46 saloon LED interior light package' from SSDD today so fingers crossed these will also look awesome. They guys at SSDD have been really helpful, they're even going to the effort of ordering me in suitable bulbs that will match those in their kit so that I can replace all of the other interior lights.

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Shipz's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    730d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Sound like a decent bunch! Let us know how you get on with your interior bulbs, because am thinking of upgrading my E90 interior lights...dull yellow isn't really the best colour!!

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Joe9087's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 320ci M-Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,701 Times in 2,156 Posts
    I got mine for my E36 for £13 from here

Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320D SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    2002, 52 Reg
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Images
    Thanks
    Shipz,

Fitted the kit over the weekend and im pleased with the effect. The footwell LED units make a huge difference, they are significantly brighter than the OEM units. You can see the light from them during the day if you look at your feet when you get in.

The other three courtest LED bulbs i fitted (centre bulb in the front centre pod and the top bulb in each of the rear pillars) I am of mixed opinion of. They are a bit more fiddly to fit but it is by no means a difficult swap once you figure out how the units pop out. I dont think they are noticeably brighter than the OEM bulbs, which I am a little bit disappointed with. That is the only negative though, they do look loads better than the OEMs. The crisp white (very very slight hint of blue) colour giver the cars interior a much nicer look and with the alloy trim in mine really makes a big difference.

Id say its a very basic mod that is relatively inexpensive but has quite a big impact. It gives the cars interior a much nicer, cleaner look and really does freshen things up compared to the OEMs dull yellow appearance. Its nice on a night when you approach your car in the car park and unlock it and see the courtesy lights light it up in that bright white light. Overall im very happy with it. If I was to do anything differently I would maybe just try the footwell lights first and see waht effect that has....but then again, I am now looking to replace all the festoon bulbs that are still OEM so in all fairness I probably would have only ended up changing the other bulbs later anyways.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast