2002 e46 318se touring-internal indicator warning lights working intermittently

Notices

Thread: 2002 e46 318se touring-internal indicator warning lights working intermittently

Reply to Thread
  1. 2002 e46 318se touring-internal indicator warning lights working intermittently 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    bellyboy's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318 se
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    touring

Thanks
    Hi folks,
    My first post on this site.
    The interior direction warning arrows and audible indicator warning has started playing up and it also appears to be affecting the main beam warning light as well. This only manifested itself this evening and although I haven't been able to check properly yet, I'm certain it isn't a fuse issue as switching the ignition on and off clears it briefly.

all exterior lights are working normally and i think it may be a relay problem.
    Can anyone tell me where the indicator relay is situated or has anybody had a similar experience.

All in all a nice car but in the year I've owned it I'm a bit disappointed with the robustness of some of the electrical parts on the car.(ignition coils packing up , rear washer pump packing up).
    It's a 54k minter that has been and still is well looked after. I'm also the owner of a 15yr old mk1 MX5 which has 124k on the clock which I do all my own work on. I don't change up on that much below 6000 and drive it hard,
    It doesn't so much as miss a beat .
    Ah well, any help would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,115 Times in 5,338 Posts
    There is no seperate relay for the indicator signals. All built in to the dash electronics and there have been a few problems with the stalk switch on previous occasions.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to xXNealXx For This Useful Post:

bellyboy (05-11-2008)

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    bellyboy's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318 se
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    touring

Thanks
    Got round to sorting the problem today, removed the airbag module after first disconnecting the battery, (you really don't want that baby going off in your face.) Steering wheel plus the cowl cover came next,(be careful when prising the top and bottom halves apart, there are two plastic pins right at the front of the lower cover, one either side of the centre ring. They require careful prising apart with a medium sized flat bladed screwdriver). Otherwise it's fairly straight forward. Helps if youv'e got a haynes manual.

I removed the indicator stalk switch and generally cleaned it, removing some of the auto grease as i thought this might be the problem. Before re assembly I briefly reconnected the battery to check operation and everything was fine. Like most electrical items, sometimes just pulling them apart can sort the problem. make sure you remember to disconnect the battery again before putting the air bag back.

Now another problem, does any body know if the airbag warning light can be reset. I assume it must activate when the airbag is removed. Life is never straightforward!!!.

6. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    328mark's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 328i se
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,426 Times in 1,920 Posts
    i think it needs to go on a fault code reader to be reset tbh.
    members have reported airbag warnings turning themselves off,but i've always understood that once triggered the light needs a computer to reset.
    what i've felt,what i've known
    never shined through in what i've shown.

-------------------------------------------
    PLEASE READ THE POSTING RULES & HOW TO CORRECT THREAD TITLES & THE SELLING RULES

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 328mark For This Useful Post:

bellyboy (06-11-2008)

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Ronnie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    See above
    Year of Manufacture:
    Never too old, never too new
    Transmission Type:
    Always manual
    Car Body Type:
    Usually 5 doors
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,052 Times in 5,322 Posts
    The air bag light will come on if the battery is connected and ignition is turned on with the doggy bag disconnected, also the entire airbag system won't deploy while the light is on, get it reset by a kind indy garage

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    RobboSRT's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    635CSI
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    BellyBoy,
    Its quite likely theat you disconnecting and reconnecting the battery has probably sorted your problem.The warning lightsthat you refer to are activated in the cluster by a BUS signal message from the LSZ(light control unit).The BUS was probably not working and the battery reset has cured it!!Well done mate,better than paying 120 quid an hour or whatever it is other there these days!!!