Model of Car:
    528iAT
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Hello, I am new to this forum but it looks like there is lots of useful info here and I hope somebody can help...

I have a "low" cluster on my 1998 528iAT. My cluster indicators, fog light warnings and main beam all stopped working after the recent rains. The pictogram of the car shows doors open/closed properly but not light bulb failures when I tested it. The lights all work as normal on the outside with the exception of the reversing lights. I traced a serious leak from the sunroof into the area of the LCM. However, I have tested 3 used LCM's and none of them were able to restore the cluster lights.

I have tried diagnosis with PASoft 1.3.6 and the IKE fault code comes back as 190 which seems to be "Sensor fur Turau.engriffberuhrung Fahrerseite-G415" (???!) which I assume is just the driver's door open warning. There is also a code for the AC (24) which seems unrelated ("Cold flap actuator center console, rear right-V203").

I do not have a CD changer, so cannot imagine there is the apparently usual issue of water in the connector in the boot. The LCM will not communicate at all with PASoft which leads me to fear a K-bus issue with the cluster.

Would be grateful for any solutions!
    Last edited by msr; 24-11-2010 at 20:38. Reason: Typo's

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    colin.ab's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    The probable cause is that a module on the K-bus is defective. The only way you can really diagnose this is to systematically disconnect all the K-bus connected parts in turn until the bus fault clears.

From memory:

Inst cluster
    LCM (Light module)
    IHKA (Heater)
    Radio head unit
    Any AV kit in the boot
    CD changer
    PDC unit
    GM3 module
    Rain light sensor
    Aux park heater
    Multifunction steering wheel
    Seater heater module

My money is on the aux park heater. I found one of these causing K-bus fault before.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to colin.ab For This Useful Post:

msr (26-11-2010)

5. FIXED!!! Cluster, ticker and reversing lights working! 
    msr
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    msr's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    528iAT
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    After further testing of LCM's known to be "good", it became apparent that the K-Bus wire (white with yellow bands and a grey stripe) was only showing around 2v at the plug into the LCM. This should be around 12v, as tested on its equivalent to the MID.

I am not sure why this happened, but the problem was solved in an unorthodox but effective manner by cutting the wire around 5cm from the plug, sealing off the "car" side and connecting the plug wire to a new wire from another K-Bus component (the easiest and closest was the cable to the multi-function steering wheel) with a "scotchlok". The "proper" fix would probably involve diagnosis of the solder connection points (i.e. behind the immobiliser module) but that black plastic spider's web is in a very confined space.

Car has therefore had a reprieve from inevitable MOT failure on this issue (and therafter enforced early retirement to the great BMW factory in the sky...)

Special thanks go to Theo of LCM Repairs . co . uk in Bedford, a really nice and thoroughly helpful chap and Sila Motors of Barnet who sells LCM's on the bay.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

LinkBacks (?)