2002 325Ti E46, Alarm trouble (FIXED)

Notices

Thread: 2002 325Ti E46, Alarm trouble (FIXED)

Reply to Thread
  1. 2002 325Ti E46, Alarm trouble (FIXED) 
    Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    Diablo944's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 ti compact sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    leadfoot sport trip
    Car Body Type:
    compact
    Thanks
    I have had my current beemer for around 3 or 4 months. Until recently things have been good. Then summer crept up on us. For the last few weeks, every morning, rain or shine, the alarm has gone off at around 10 or 11 oclock in the morning.
    Most days it only goes off once. Some days it can repeat itself 3 or 4 times over a short period of time. It doesnt go off at any other time of day or anywhere else than on the drive. But as soon as the sun clears the house and hits the car in the morning, its beep beep flash time.

I initially looked at booking the car into david holmes at stockport. Then they told me how much it was going to be to connect it up to their diagnostic computer. As soon as they said £112.00 just to connect it up, I blew them out. I dont mind paying to have a car checked out, but as they were charging solely for the task of connecting it up and not for any time they would have to spend chasing the fault, I was off the phone in seconds.

A call to Baymow got me an electrician booked to come down and sort things out. It cost 30 quid plus vat to have the car linked to their diagnosics (apparently that little blue box of joy costs over 8 grand).

The compy shows faults up to 31 before deciding it doesnt want to play anymore. My car was showing 31 activations via the bonnet switch. Cost for replacement of the switch is 8 pounds.

The auto electrician also pointed out that the bonnet switch is the same as that fitted to numerous other beemers in the range and that the z1/3/4 used the same one. BMW had identified a problem with the switch and new switches have been redesigned/updated.

Just figured it was worth pointing out what had taken place. Now, what to spend the money that I saved on. Can do a full tank refill, buy some cigs and and have a full dinner on the savings.

sorted
    2002 325 Compact Sport ti M-Tec---- A little thanks goes a long way

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,115 Times in 5,338 Posts
    That's right...bonnet switch and internal sensors are the most likely to be at fault with EWS.

Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    Diablo944's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 ti compact sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    leadfoot sport trip
    Car Body Type:
    compact
    Thanks
    Had already tried the double button press to disable the internals, but still went off. All the more likely it was the bonnet switch. In the land of improving things though. I just got all my money back as the dealer I bought the car from footed the bill.
    2002 325 Compact Sport ti M-Tec---- A little thanks goes a long way