2002 320D SE Touring Radio gets interference from rear screen heater!

Notices

Thread: 2002 320D SE Touring Radio gets interference from rear screen heater!

Reply to Thread
  1. 2002 320D SE Touring Radio gets interference from rear screen heater! 
    BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    dead_valentine's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Hi guys, I thought there was something wrong with my radio aerial connection until recently. Today I turned the rear windscreen heater on to clear the mist off it and the radio lost it's signal. Turned it off and it came back!! Really odd! Has anybody else had this happen?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    SlowTech's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,799 Times in 3,107 Posts
    Quite a common issue on the touring dv, can't remember off hand what the fix is, apart from not using the rear window demister!

2001 E46 320D heated rear window on touring

Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,115 Times in 5,338 Posts
    One common problem is with the diversity amplifier having dry joints.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Car Details
    edber's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E60 520D LCI
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    AUTOMATIC
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Images
    Thanks
    i think the radio and heater element are somehow interconnected,i.e the heater element acts as an antenna for the radio,i could be wrong on that.

Premium Member
    Car Details
    matthew_henson's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E61 525d Touring
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring/Estate
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,412 Times in 1,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edber View Post
    think the radio and heater element are somehow interconnected,i.e the heater element acts as an antenna for the radio,i could be wrong on that
    You are right and there is a box of trick called a diversity amplifier in the roof space near the tailgate that splits the radio signal from the heater element and removes the noise, when that dies the radio stops working when the rear heater windscreen is switch on

8. Diversity amp / Demister fail 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    diggerpanda's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    man
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Thanks for the good info here, i have a demister failure on my e46 touring, the radio works fine with the demister button selected in either position (on/off), i can hear the relay clicking behind me so i am reasonably sure that it is ok.
    I have done the repair to the heating elements with the conductive cement and checked it all for continuity and its all good. The fuse is also good and i have even checked that for continuity even though i can physically see its ok.
    So my question is regarding the diversity amplifier, how can i troubleshoot the amp without removing the headlining or am i going to have to bite the bullet and get the access i need.
    Has anyone done any kind of troubleshooting on these and if so what was the outcome?
    Seems to be a fairly common fail on the touring variant due to the rubber seal chafing the elements away on the rear screen.
    Of course if anyone has alternate suggestions then please let me know.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    man
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    So a quick update on my demister fail, i had the radio tuned to a local station with the antenna being within a couple of km of my house, when switching between on/off on the demister button i couldnt detect any drop in sound quality as was being reported by other forum users. So i tuned to a weaker station and hey presto i now get the interference problem when switching on/off. I guess this points the finger directly at the diversity amplifier and hopefully a replacement unit will fix both the demister problem and the radio issue. I am going to order the part and let you know the outcome. Seems crazy that so many forum users are chucking bricks through windows and claiming on insurance to fix this problem.
    I am sure it can be fixed somehow.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    man
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Updating further on this PITA problem. So i stripped out the back of my 320 touring, removed the tailgate seal and pulled the headlining down to get the access to the diversity amplifier. Found the noise suppressor up there stuck to the ceiling but no diversity amplifier. Pulled the headlining down until i could see the light cluster above the rear seats but no fricking amp to be found anywhere. Reinstalled the headling and seal and then chased the wiring back to the wave rectifier on the left hand side, connections all good and nothing seems to be amiss. So chased the cables further forward which meant removing the panel covering the rear speaker, no easy job as its held in with screws, bolts, clips and scrivets. removed the panel and found that the wiring went underneath the door entry cover and still no amp to be found. Outside temp at 30 degrees and the sun now beating down on me i decided that it was time for a cold beer and a rethink. Put it all back together and been chasing info on the forums ever since.
    Anyone got any bright ideas on where this amp is. i checked under as many of the tailgate panels as i could easily remove and had a quick scout under the rear floor panels but still no amp.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    andrewharvey's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i se touring
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    touring

Thanks
    Hi
    amplifier is under spoiler. First open fully tailgate. Remove clipped on panel covering hinges in tailgate. Note the panel is on tailgate not main body. After removing panel remove hex head bolts X 4 and spoiler then lifts off and hey presto. Its a bugger to work on and the cable connections are horrid. This is only for AM radio.....you know this right????FM aerial is mounted under CD multiplayer.
    Have you a standard head unit because if not I have more info...............

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    man
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    I only just picked up this response, thanks andrewharvey. Weather is a bit cold at the mo for stripping the car out so gonna leave it until we are in double figures. I didn't know that it was AM only but the radio reception is not the problem its the heated rear screen that is not working and in this weather it would be very useful to have it working again. I have repaired the chafed heating matrix on the back screen but its still not working.
    I will pull off the spoiler and see if i can swap the amp for a serviceable item and get the heat back into my screen.
    I am about to change the head unit from the original to an aftermarket, anything i should know about the affect on the amp/aerial/reception before i do this.
    Thanks