2001 e46 330ci vert - glovebox woes!

Notices

Thread: 2001 e46 330ci vert - glovebox woes!

Reply to Thread
  1. 2001 e46 330ci vert - glovebox woes! 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    davie.'s Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330 ci sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    convertible

Thanks
    Hey there guys, another question! lol

My glovebox has been permanently closed since ive owned my car. I dont really keep much junk in there but its always handy to have and i figured that the latch had just broken inside.. no problem, right?... WRONG!.

Spent an hour dismantling to finally get the glovebox open and found what appears to be a mechanism operated by a microswitch/solenoid. Why make something that does a simple job so complicated? lol

From what i can gather, the operation of the key depresses the microswitch, which then leads off somewhere (possibly has something to do with the alarm too?) and then returns a current down the blue/black wire and pops the solenoid?

On top of the plug there are exposed areas above each one of the contacts (not visible in the pics), so ive popped the multimeter probes above the 2 wires leading to the solenoid and then operated the microswitch by hand.... would i be correct in expecting a reading here?

Just one thing worth pointing out, the 2 brown wires that come from the microswitch were frayed at the switch end, so ive re-soldered and shrink wrapped them - there a possibility this could have blown a fuse or damaged a component elsewhere? i figured if they touched it would just complete the circuit the same as the switch, but you never know

Ive had a flick through the Haynes manual and found nothing in the wiring diagrams or in the actual book itself, and ive spoken to the parts guy at my local stealership and he didnt know much about it either

anyone come across this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    baronbloom's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330c icab 540itouring 330cia
    Year of Manufacture:
    2000/1999/2001
    Transmission Type:
    auto auto auto
    Car Body Type:
    coupe/touring/cab
    Thanks
    hi,not sure what the question is,(i might be a bit stupid)
    because you have a vert the glove box locks from the key central locking system,so you can park with the hood down and all is locked i have a vert and it is a great asset to have.
    stephen:330cia/540iT/330i cab

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    parxuk's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E60 525D M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Holy thread revival Batman!

Can somebody please tell me what the 2 brown wires that were re-soldered (above) do?

Mine are disconnected - yet with them disconnected everything still seems to work fine - glove box locks/unlocks off of key and central locking. Boot still locks/unlocks fine.