2001 E46 330 sport convertible, Horn not working

Notices
 

Thread: 2001 E46 330 sport convertible, Horn not working

Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. 2001 E46 330 sport convertible, Horn not working 
    #1
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    karllap's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318 Msport
    Year of Manufacture:
    2004
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My horn doesn't work and it is mot time!

    i have checked the fuses and they are both ok, I have removed the airbag to check that there is nothing looses but everything seems ok.
    I take it the horn wire is the brown terminal just to the right, if so how does it actually work, ie I take it it shorts somehow and complets a circuit?

    Lastly, where about is teh actual horn itself so I can check that?

    Thanks
    Last edited by karllap; 07-07-2010 at 18:01. Reason: incorrect format of title
     
     

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements
     

  3.  
    #2
    BMW Guru
    Car Details
    mark@vorny.co.uk's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    911 C2S
    Year of Manufacture:
    2009
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    mark@vorny.co.uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Appleby Magna, Derbyshire
    Posts
    6,636
    Thanks
    5,139
    Thanked 3,738 Times in 2,697 Posts
    Guys, can you remember the forum posting rules and edit titles accordingly;

    YEAR / Exx DESIGNATION / MODEL - ISSUE/PROBLEM, ETC
    2013, Porsche 911 Carrera 4S, PDK, Sports Exhaust, Chrono, etc, etc

    *removed

    BFUK weekday crew

    PLEASE READ THE POSTING RULES & HOW TO CORRECT THREAD TITLES & THE SELLING RULES
     
     

  4.  
    #3
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    karllap's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318 Msport
    Year of Manufacture:
    2004
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark@vorny.co.uk View Post
    Guys, can you remember the forum posting rules and edit titles accordingly;

    YEAR / Exx DESIGNATION / MODEL - ISSUE/PROBLEM, ETC
    Sorry Can I edit the title to change it?



    I have been investigating a bit further now, I have figured that the front assembly of the horn pushes forward which completes the circuit so that bit is done.

    I have 12v coming to the brown terminal but when I complete the circuit (push the front part of the horn forward) the 12v drops
     
     

  5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements
     

  6.  
    #4
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    karllap's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318 Msport
    Year of Manufacture:
    2004
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The relay is activating (I can hear it) I have found the horns (could they be in worse places).
    I have disconected them both and when I put my meter on terminals and I am not getting 12v when the horn is pushed but as I say the voltage does drop at the horn press when I press it so I'm not that suprised.

    Any ideas?
     
     

  7. info 
    #5
    Banned
    Car Details
    cockeral81's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    1997
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    convertable

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    coventry
    Posts
    236
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by karllap View Post
    My horn doesn't work and it is mot time!

    i have checked the fuses and they are both ok, I have removed the airbag to check that there is nothing looses but everything seems ok.
    I take it the horn wire is the brown terminal just to the right, if so how does it actually work, ie I take it it shorts somehow and complets a circuit?

    Lastly, where about is teh actual horn itself so I can check that?

    Thanks
    the brown wire is an earth

    on the horn there should be 2 wires
    1 brown = earth via steering wheel switch
    and another wire = positive battery feed.

    you get the earth wire going to the switch
    then another wire going from the switch to your horn.

    when the horn button is pressed it completes the circuit and your horn sounds.

    any more info needed giz a shout m8.

    btw check all fuses,trust me
     
     

  8.  
    #6
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    karllap's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318 Msport
    Year of Manufacture:
    2004
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cockeral81 View Post
    the brown wire is an earth

    on the horn there should be 2 wires
    1 brown = earth via steering wheel switch
    and another wire = positive battery feed.

    you get the earth wire going to the switch
    then another wire going from the switch to your horn.

    when the horn button is pressed it completes the circuit and your horn sounds.

    any more info needed giz a shout m8.

    btw check all fuses,trust me
    It looks like the brown and red (spade connectot to the front part of the horn push) is the live and teh brown and black (screwed to the back part of the horn push) is the earth.
    When the 2 complete the circuit (by pushing the front part to touch the back part) the horn should work but it doesn't.
    As I say the relay activates, the horn actually does work cos I have put a direct live to to test but it doesn't work when I use the circuit.

    has anybody got any ideas, I can't believe I've got my car in pieces for a bloody horn!
     
     

Tags for this Thread

View Tag Cloud

Posting Permissions
  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts