mccraque's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    I just phoned them again and it would seem that they have the boot wiring all pulled out now....more in hope than expectation, I fear

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Diamond BFuk Member
    Car Details
    petrolmarty's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530d M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    2006 December
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Funny enough I had a Rover years ago which had the same symptoms and that turned out to be something to do with the boot. Can't remember exactly but something between the boot release and courtesy light.

kib
    BMW Master
    Car Details
    kib's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e46 330 ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    convertible

Thanks
    could the boot lights be staying on.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

6. 2001 E46 325i - Battery Drain Problem 
    BMW Guru
    Car Details
    lee_h's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318 ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Images
    Thanks
    I am sure someone mentioned on here about the hedgehog resistor draining the battery if that is faulty,
    Might be worth a check, is your climate control working ok? The blowers etc?

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    mccraque's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    The Hedgehog resistor has been replaced - along with the battery

No lights left on...I have meticulously checked boot light, interior lights

Latest from the electrician is that they wiring in the boot had perished and they seem to think that if it was in contact with the chassis then the earth was causing a drain. Whether this is the actual cause, remains to be seen.

I am so hoping its fixed....is a bloody nightmare.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    mccraque's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    So - it would seem that the alternator is fine, and all they could find was some exposed boot wiring that they thought may be earthing and draining....

Car was fine for 4 weeks. Took it on a nice run last weekend of 120miles - a week and a half later....PPPPFFFFT. Same thing happens.

A couple of people have suggested that perhaps I leave it too long between runs as I dont use it every single day. But I would have thought a brand new battery, middle of summer, would have been fine on any car? Or am I expecting too much here?! My last car was left for 3 months and was still fine!

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    801802971's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325iSE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    I know you said the Final Stage Resistor was changed but I would test it again as I mentioned previously. It may have gone again.

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    TAJ_786's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible
    Thanks
    i have a e36 325i and the battery also drains on that i dont know why. i thought it was my subwoofer but i took the fuse out the power wire but it still drains i need help iswell.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Marceldg's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i E46
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Figured I'd give this thread a kick up. I can find a lot of people with this issue, but pretty much no people that come back saying the issue is fixed. Well I currently have this issue and I'm deadset on fixing it, because it's terribly annoying ;-)

So to sum it all up
    I have a 2004 325i Touring Special Executive. It has just over 200.000 km on it. It's kept in an underground parking garage every day. I drive the car about twice a week. Short distances, 15/30 minutes drives. Every once in a while I drive a couple of hours (to family). Shortly after I got it the alternator went, this is about 2 years and 20.000 km ago, so I put in a new one. No further issues (apart from getting a dud the first time).
    I replaced the battery last winter, about 7.000 km ago. It had suffered a beating from the dead alternator and a cold winter on the driveway of a friend for a couple of weeks killed it.
    I've not had any problems. I maintain it pretty good, but I don't drive that much.

A couple of weeks ago the battery was flat in the morning. I jumped the car and drove it for about 1,5 hour and later that day another 1,5 hour. Did both drives with the onboard diagnostics showing the voltage. This showed a steady voltage, so I'm not questioning the alternator.
    I put it back in the garage and a couple of days later the battery was again almost flat but it just about started. Drove it for a bit and a few days later it was dead again. I then hooked it up to a charger (CTEK MSX 5.0 Test & Charge) and charged it and did a desulfation mode run. Then let the battery sit for a couple of days and tested it, CTEK gave it a thumbs up.

So back in the car and I did a drawtest. Hooked up the multimeter and I got the following readings. I did this with the car closed and the multimeter up against the window to check the numbers.

First I did the test without the alarm (no clownsnose blinking).
    It started at 0,85A when I locked the car and after a minute or so it dropped to 0,02 / 0,01A. Nothing changed after the required 16 minutes (I waited 20 minutes).

Then I did the test with the alarm on (clownsnose blinking).
    It started at 1,48A and after a minute or so it dropped to 0,02A. Nothing changed after the required 16 minutes (I waited 20 minutes).

I have no issues with my heating or my fans not working, though I'm probaby going to tape a bit of chalk onto one of the fins of the fans to see afterwards if it has turned on while the car was off. Just to be on the safe side.
    Might also be that I didn't properly charge the battery with my 3 hours driving and that that's the reason it died. Can't be sure without testing.

Anyways, I'll keep you guys posted about the progress and I plan on reporting back if I've been able to solve it or not, so hopefully others can use this topic in the future if they encounter the same issue.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marceldg For This Useful Post:

dailydoggy (14-08-2015),recalcitrant (15-08-2015)

BMW Master
    Car Details
    gunslinger1's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    company car
    Year of Manufacture:
    company car
    Transmission Type:
    company car
    Car Body Type:
    company car

Thanks
    by the time every one has had a guess at what it is and being replaced , you could have booked the car in at a bmw dealer , who would have given you a discount on the labour rate and found the problem . i do like the guess the hedgehog risister , thats a funny one , lets call the parts by the correct name .
    first off , you need your alternator out put checking , this is not just a voltage check but amps and just as important Ripple . if this is ok then move one to battery drain , as you have replaced the battery . battery drain consists of monitiong the car going though the stages of going to sleep , this is done by setting a scope up to run a trace for at least 12 hours , this is best done over night , as the tech can look back at what has gone on the night befor , and see if there was a drain and how long the drain lasted for . this could be there all the time or intermittantly . but it will show you where to start and an idea of what fuze to start removeing to isolate the circuit .
    Or we can all put our ideas in to a hat and pull then out one by one untill we use all the money the poor guy has . my guess in the hat is , it has a an old tracker fitted and its trying to charge the battery of that tracker unit , or the TEL/ULF unit is playing up . either way , let some one know about the cars who knows what they are doing as it will be fixed quicker and prob cheaper .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast