325Ci Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Hi Guys,

New to the site so hello to all! I have an electrical problem at the rear end of my 2001 325 Ci Sport.

The two rear numberplate lamps have stopped lighting up with head/sidelights (the warning on the dash shows that up), the rear parking sensors and the boot release (the one under the boot handle) have also stopped working!

I have checked the fuse for the parking sensor, that seems ok, the bulbs are ok in the lamps but I can't find a fuse for the boot release or the number plate lamps?!

I have checked through all the fuses in the fuseboard in the glovebox and can't find anything wrong so I am assuming this might be some harness problem or is there another fuse bank at the rear of the car or elsewhere, or a connector block come undone??

Everything else at the rear end seems to be working as normal including the boot release from the keyfob.

Has anyone come accross this before or can offer any advice, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Cheers
    Jan

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Master
    Car Details
    barney3's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    compact

Thanks
    The number plate lights and boot release I reckon are one problem, the gripstrip on the boot lid are prone to water ingress which corrodes the electrical connector on the back of this unit or the bulb holders themselves. When you checked the bulbs was there any green residue in there anywhere? If that all looks ok then you should look at the wiring between the boot lid and the vehicle body, you could have some broken wires here.

Regarding the PDC, does the LED on the pdc button light up? if so then do you get no audible warning or does the pdc produce a constant tone.

Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,115 Times in 5,338 Posts
    As barney3 says, but I don't think you will have a PDC button without front park sensors. Come to think of it, don't believe there was a front PDC option on E46 models.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    CJS123's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325Ci Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Thanks for the reply Barney,

It looked relatively clean in there when I replaced the bulbs, I had the whole thing off recently as the boot handle all but fell off so I had to araldite it back together (the black plastic backing moulding had fallen to bits), it did work after that for some time so I don't think I damaged anything doing that although I can check.

As regards the PDC, on't know which LED you mean, I don't have any LED's? But no, it is not making any sound at all, no beep or continuous tone when I select reverse!?

Mine is an E46 (2001) model.

Cheers
    Jan

Thanks
    The wires passing into the bootlid are a good bet, worth a check where they pass through the rubber gaitor
    The number plate lights/boot button could be an earth problem as the boot release button switches an earth. The wire is brown.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to gildersol For This Useful Post:

xXxStKxXx (14-10-2009)

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    CJS123's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325Ci Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    I have found a brown wire that is broken in the gaitor, will fix that this evening (it was getting dark last night!) and see what happens!

Any thoughts on the reversing sensors not working at all?

I have found another problem too, the the button on the end of the LH column stalk that changes the display in the instrument pack from temp/mpg/time/range etc has stopped working too, could that be related?

Is there a specific fuse for it, I may have put one back in the wrong place when checking them all at the weekend!

Cheers
    Jan

BMW Master
    Car Details
    barney3's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    compact

Thanks
    I think Neals right about the pdc button, I think you possibly only had it on later models if you had the centre console switch centre with heated seats etc. Do the reverse light work? if the pdc dont see a reverse light signal then it wont turn on to begin with. You could check to see if there is any power to the sensors, I know that if one developes a short to ground internally then it shorts the power supply to them all out, if you could get hold of a spare sensor then you could swap them individually to find which ones at fault. You could also have a faulty accoustic generator but this is very rare. Just out of interrest does anyone know if the systems independants are using are capable of diagnosing pdc faults.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    CJS123's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325Ci Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Mine is the earlier one, there does appear to be power to them, you can hear a clicking from all 4 of them when you put your ear to them when its in reverse.

I'm wondering more now about the possibility I have missplaced a fuse in the fuse board, the stalk button for the IP stopped working, maybe the acoustic sounder is on the same line - anyone any idea which fuse they are (if they are indeed related!)

Cheers
    Jan

Edited to add, yes the reverse lights work, all the lights appear to work (with the exception of the numberplate lamps but you know about that)
    Last edited by CJS123; 14-10-2009 at 12:04. Reason: Added info

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    CJS123's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325Ci Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Right, I've repaired that wire in the boot and I have a boot release button back and number plate lights back so thats all good!

I still have no parking aid (still got the clicking from all four sensors) and I have noticed another couple of things wrong in the dash!

The stalk button for the trip computer is still not working as previously.
    Also I am missing advisory lights for the following - sidelight, headlight, main beam and front and rear fog lights! The lights all still work but I just don't get any indication from the IP!!

The rest of the indication lights work, the indicators, the oil lights, the handbrake light etc! Could these still be related?! All the fuses are in the right slots and I checked them all at the weekend and they were all ok!

I tried a battery reset (removed the power lead from the battery for 30 seconds and reconected) still no joy!

Thanks
    Are fuses F10, F34 and F43 (all 10A) healthy. They are for the instrument cluster.