Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Hello, I'm after some advice on a troublesome 320d.

One key gave up two years ago. Drove it 300 miles in the hope of charging, but no joy. Been using one key now for 30k, no problems until 2 weeks ago when my family couldn't get out of the car using internal lock/unlock button by hazards.

Took it in on Monday (still there). Firstly they "read" the faults and found an issue with the general (?) module (central locking) so ordered a replacement (£350 incl. vat). This is IN the car and adds £120 for labour and coding.

Phoned to collect today and apparently there are issues with not having a 2nd key (?) and discovered drivers door ACTUATOR needs replacing.

I have asked not to continue with the work and will collect tomorrow £470 down. I was given the impression that with a dodgy actuator, I can open/close + lock/unlock with the fob, but if the remaining fob fails it could be that using the key manually will not work.

Could anyone advise me please?

Am I risking too much not to replace the actuator? What does it do?
    How come the key has worked for 9 years without incident, but now might not work?
    Is it a false economy just to give up, get the car back and not invest in an actuator (£80) and another key (£100+)

Oh, and the r-wiper motor is not working, but I'm going to have a look at that myself, having read threads on here! Thanks.

Oh and b.t.w. the garage suggested finding a useable spare fob (2nd hand or auction site) and getting that coded to work? Is this possible, since apparently even an independent BMW can't get keys...I'd have to go to main dealer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    RGDave's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Just in case any kind person should have come across this, I am happy to report I have the car back and although not perfect, things seems OK.
    The fob/locking module seems to work well. Only time will tell what might happen should it fail and I try the key?!
    The garage actually fixed the r-wiper motor on my behalf for 45 mins labour and it's a smooth as silk. Just goes to show; it's worth having a look at a motor on broken part - since sometimes it can be servicable.

If anyone would still like to comment on the drivers door actuator, I'd love to hear.

Thanks.