I am new to the site and own a 318i e46 touring with the N42 engine.
I have owned the car for 6 months and has 160k on the clocks.
Since I have bought it there has been an intermittant issue with some sort of sensor, (I have been told camshaft/crankshaft position sensor).
What happens is basically the car is EXTREMELY sluggish 80% of the time, and then the other 20% of the time it works great.
Now the garage I bought it off said that they have replaced the camshaft sensor but it could be the other one failing (I have never had the EML light on, nor has the car stalled).
So it worked a bit better for a weeek after that and then back to 80/20 again, at the time i was out of work and thought i would give benifit of the doubt and buy another camshaft sensor when i am working.
Now that I am working again I bought a D900 OBDII diag machine which brings up the following:
p3240 Map cooling thermostat circuit open
(Nothing about camshaft sensor, could this still be camshaft issue and just not showing?)
I/M Readiness brings up CAT, 02S and AIR in bold.
Any help greatly appreciated as the car is a danger to drive due to how slow it revs when in its poor mode.