Model of Car:
    3i8I M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    AUTOMATIC
    Car Body Type:
    TOURING

Thanks
    Hi, Hoping someone can help, I have misfire underload from idle seems to clear at higher revs, sometimes severe misfire & somtimes only slight, have changed all coil packs & plugs, & had local garage check it on computer - showing as misfire on no. 1 car has only done 15,000,
    garage are sugesting cam timing problem ? & want to remove head to investigate. but I am not convinced - any advise very welcome

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Ronnie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    See above
    Year of Manufacture:
    Never too old, never too new
    Transmission Type:
    Always manual
    Car Body Type:
    Usually 5 doors
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,051 Times in 5,322 Posts
    You won't need to remove the head to check the cam timing, but they are known to jump so will be a option to look at.

Has the car been checked for any split induction hoses, breather pipes and vacuum pipes?

And were the codes read with a BMW specific scanner or just a EOBD code reader?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ronnie For This Useful Post:

COLIN1230_1 (30-06-2009)

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    COLIN1230_1's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    3i8I M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    AUTOMATIC
    Car Body Type:
    TOURING

Thanks
    Thanks, I havent checked Vacum pipes but will tonight, was read with bmw scanner codes P1341 & p1343.

Thanks
    Colin

6. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    3i8I M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    AUTOMATIC
    Car Body Type:
    TOURING

Thanks
    Hi, I have checked air & vacum pipes which are all ok, but I have discovered that when I start engine from cold it only runs on 3 cylinders, but if I remove wires from valvetronic servo motor it runs perfectly smoothly. I would welcome any ideas. which sensors have any influence on the servo motor ? The EML has stayed since codes were last cleared.

Thanks
    variable valve eccentric shaft position sensor

9. The Following User Says Thank You to gildersol For This Useful Post:

COLIN1230_1 (30-06-2009)

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    3i8I M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    AUTOMATIC
    Car Body Type:
    TOURING

Thanks
    Thanks, where is it situated ?

Thanks
    In case I'm wrong, does your setup look like this, with the silver cylinder in the middle being the servomotor?
    Attached Images

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    3i8I M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    AUTOMATIC
    Car Body Type:
    TOURING

Thanks
    Yes its the same as that, I will replace the sensor tomorrow & hope that cures it. Thanks for your help its really appreciated.

Thanks
    X60213 in the picture is the sensor, but, i'm not saying that's your problem. I don't have any experience of this myself. The fact that it checks the positions may still point to Ronnies suggestion about the timing being right.
    Here's some gobbledegook to read which may help...Hope you find the fault...keep us updated

Variable valve gear / Valvetronic
    The variable valve gear was developed to reduce fuel consumption.

The air volume supplied to the engine is not set by the throttle valve but by the variable stroke of the intake valve. An electrically adjustable eccentric shaft uses intermediate levers to change the effect of the camshaft on the rocker arms. This produces an adjustable stroke of the valves.

The throttle valve is now only used for starting up and for emergency operation functions. In all other operating states, the throttle valve is opened so far that it only has a very slight throttling effect. For tank ventilation, a certain vacuum is still necessary.

The corresponding position of the variable valve gear is calculated in the engine control unit from the position of the accelerator pedal and other variables. The variable valve gear is moved by its own control unit and servomotor. The servomotor is fitted to the cylinder head and it drives the eccentric shaft via a worm drive in the oil chamber of the cylinder head.

The communication between the engine control unit and Valvetronic control unit is on a separate LoCAN bus. All functions are calculated in the engine control unit. The Valvetronic control unit evaluates the signals of the position sensor and controls the servomotor of the eccentric shaft.

Position sensing
    The current position of the eccentric shaft is sensed by a special position sensor. The sensor is equipped with two independent angle probes. The engine management controls the position by means of the electric drive until the current position corresponds to the set position. For safety reasons, two angle probes with opposing characteristic curves are used. The two signals are sent to the Valvetronic control unit in digital form.

The Valvetronic control unit powers both potentiometers with a voltage of 5 V.

Monitoring the signal voltages
    The Valvetronic control unit permanently monitors the two voltage signals of the potentiometers. The monitoring function checks whether the voltages are within the permissible range, i.e. whether there is a short-circuit or sensor defect.

The two signals must not deviate from each other.

In the event of a fault occurring, the eccentric shaft is set to maximum possible valve opening. The air volume is now restricted by the throttle valve. If it is not possible to detect the current position, the valves are opened to the maximum without control.

Monitoring the eccentric shaft position
    The Valvetronic control unit continuously checks whether the actual position of the eccentric shaft corresponds to its set position. This makes it possible to determine when a valve is sticking. In the case of an error here, the valves are opened as wide as possible and the air supply is controlled by the throttle valve.

If the engine control unit is unable to communicate with the Valvetronic control unit due to a LoCAN bus fault, emergency communication is set up across a separate line (P_VVTEN).

Learning function / adaptation
    In order to achieve the correct valve opening height, all the tolerances in the valve gear must be balanced by an adaptation. In this learning procedure, there is a slow approach to the mechanical adjustment limits of the eccentric shaft. The positions thus reached are stored and used in each operating point as the basis for calculating the current valve stroke.

The learning procedure runs automatically if, for example after a repair, a difference between the last stop position and the new starting position (with terminal 15 on) is detected. The adaptation can also be requested via the DIS-plus Tester.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to gildersol For This Useful Post:

COLIN1230_1 (30-06-2009)

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    3i8I M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    AUTOMATIC
    Car Body Type:
    TOURING

Thanks
    Many thanks to Gildersol & Ronnie for all your help, I will try another sensor & check the valve timing & let you know how it goes. Best regards, Colin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast