E39 530i Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Hi,

I recently 'completed' this on my '01 E39 530i and overall things are working OK. However, I have a couple of small issues however that may be wiring related. I know there are a couple of MID retrofit threads on the forum already so hopefully someone can chime in with some info. I purchased the retrofit wiring harness (65129405409) and two wires went to fuse 25 & 44, and the other three went to the black junction box behind the glovebox.

The issues are:

1) With my all in one cassette/radio unit I had previously, I was able to turn on the radio after the car was switched off with no key in the ignition for up to 20 mins. Now with the MID, it will only turn on providing the key is in ignition position 1. I asked another owner and he said he was able to turn on his MID/radio with the key out.

2) Whenever I get into the car, I now hear the CD mechanism starting before I've even entered key in ignition (it sounds like it's trying to eject a CD but no CD is present). Is this normal? Sometimes the mechanism will even go twice. I was hoping it was normal but I asked another MID/CD owner and he says this doesn't happen on his car. It plays CDs perfectly so no issues there.

I've attached the instructions that I used and a wiring diagram I found on another thread for reference. Any information on this would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Richard
    Attached Files

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    TheEnd's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,990 Times in 2,440 Posts
    It might be age related, I have the 4:3 TV, and I'm pretty sure apart from the time and date coming up on the bottom, it won't turn on by itself.

The CD starting is probably normal, they do thing like that to speed up the system, such as reading and scanning the CD (and checking if a CD is in) even before you select the CD, so it will be in standby instantly.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TheEnd For This Useful Post:

rpg (28-07-2011)

rpg
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    rpg's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E39 530i Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEnd View Post
    It might be age related, I have the 4:3 TV, and I'm pretty sure apart from the time and date coming up on the bottom, it won't turn on by itself.

The CD starting is probably normal, they do thing like that to speed up the system, such as reading and scanning the CD (and checking if a CD is in) even before you select the CD, so it will be in standby instantly.
    Thanks mate.

To be honest I could probably live with it if it was normal, but I know something is not right. I've spoken to 2 facelift E39 owners ('01 & '02) and both can use the MID (and therefore radio) without keys in the ignition, and neither of them hear the CD mechanism upon getting into the car. So I'd prefer to find out the problem and rectify it, rather than leave it.

I took everything back out this evening and inspected the wires but everything looks OK so I'm at a bit of a loss. Can anyone recall doing this and inserting wires in the following positions:

The harness has five wires; two go to the fuses (in my case they've been clamped on to existing wires as they're already in use - the retrofit states to do this if this is the case) and three go to the black connector box.

Can anyone recall the three wires in the connector box going one after each other? If anyone had them in locations not beside each other then I'd know I've wired them in wrong. But I did do as the instructions said and connect them to the box that has the same colour wires in it, so I'm not sure.

Any confirmation on this would be great.

6. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Deano16v's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    745i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,001 Posts
    hello mate. On my retrofit i could never turn the radio on with the key out, that was the same pre and post upgrade.

from memory on unlocking the car my changer always loaded/primed the changer.

i never put the wires in the slot next to each other, just the nearest one in that block that was the same colour. some were a couple apart, that doesn't really matter.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Deano16v For This Useful Post:

rpg (22-08-2011)

rpg
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    rpg's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E39 530i Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanks Deano - I appreciate your reply.

I double checked all my connections with a multimeter and referenced the wiring diagrams again, and I'm confident I've got it right, so I started thinking about something else.

The MID unit (while it works perfectly in my 2001 E39 once ign. turned on) is from a pre-facelift E39 (early 2000), and I'm beginning to suspect pre-facelift cars weren't able to use the function of listening to the radio with the ignition off.

See below for what I was able to do on my radio cassette unit before I did the retrofit:

So I guess this might confirm my suspicions, was your E39 a pre-facelift model?

Thanks again.

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Deano16v's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    745i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,001 Posts
    yeah, mine was mate, it was a 2000 build. I never knew there was a difference to be honest. Maybe find someone with a facelift with MID and swap over to see if things change?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Deano16v For This Useful Post:

rpg (24-08-2011)

rpg
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    rpg's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E39 530i Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Deano16v View Post
    yeah, mine was mate, it was a 2000 build. I never knew there was a difference to be honest. Maybe find someone with a facelift with MID and swap over to see if things change?
    Thanks Deano, yep I think I'll do that. It's not so much the feature that I'm missing, it's more a concern that I've wired something incorrectly. If I find out this is the cause (pre-facelift/facelift differences) then I'll just leave it, as I don't really mind. Cheers.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Kev0's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon - Sport

Thanks
    I have just retro-fitted a single CD+MID+BMW cable to my facelift E39 (late 2000) and do not have this problem. All went swimmingly well and needed no reprog (to my surprise!).
    I can use all modes (incl 6 CD changer) without ignition on.

Well worth the £170 for the 2nd hand CD/MID and cable.

And thanks to RPG for the photo's of his connections - helped me on the install a lot (the BMW instructions are not that clear and without pictures).

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0 For This Useful Post:

rpg (30-04-2012)