2001 E39 530d Battery Drain

Notices

Thread: 2001 E39 530d Battery Drain

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. 2001 E39 530d Battery Drain 
    Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    Hi guys, first time on here hoping someone could give me a couple of pointers on my problem.
    I just picked up an e39 2001 530d at decent price but after a flat battery and a little investigation found around a 0.45A current draw coming out the battery all the time flattening it within a couple of days .
    Anyway I poked about a bit and found if I remove fuse 4 from behind the glovebox it gets rid of the problem.
    There seems to be a control module in the same area that appears to do part of the alarm system, central locking and all sorts of other crap it also appears to control all the interior lights etc.
    I was wondering if this fuse 4 does anything more than the interior lights, puddle lights, boot light etc.
    I'm trying to narrow it down to a possible system for this current draw problem.
    I can live without all the fancy lights at the moment but just wondering if anything else is effected by this fuse.
    If anyone has come across this before I'd be interested in any thoughts on this one.
    Thanks for any replys guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Ronnie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    See above
    Year of Manufacture:
    Never too old, never too new
    Transmission Type:
    Always manual
    Car Body Type:
    Usually 5 doors
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,051 Times in 5,322 Posts
    I have heard of Siemens relays playing up causing a drain, what other items does fuse 4 control?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ronnie For This Useful Post:

pwb53 (30-01-2010)

Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    Hi Ronnie, thanks for the reply, my information is a bit scant thats part of the problem but from what I know it is one of many fuses going to a module behind the glovebox area.
    The module (i think) does the interior lights, alarm system(probably only part of), part of central locking system (keyless side of it I think)and something to to with the wipers rain sensor.
    The annoying thing is that although when I pull fuse 4 it gets rid of the drain at the battery terminals, when I check for current draw at the fuse 4 terminals there's no real worrying amount of current draw present leading me to believe that it's only on a switching side rather than a load side of these circuits.
    So I'm wondering if as you say there's a relay inside the module sticking on.
    I've done donkey work obviously checking all the interior lights/bootlights, puddle lights on doors and under dash etc and nothing seems to be on.
    It's actually quite a decent car apart from this niggle, my first bmw ! not a big diesel fan really but I couldnt get a big petrol engined one for the same money.
    Plus the scary road tax legislation coming in kind of put the frightners on me.

6. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Ronnie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    See above
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Always manual
    Car Body Type:
    Usually 5 doors
    Thanks
    I shall see if I can find out anything about it

BMW Fanatic
    Thanks
    Hi,

I had the same problem in my 320i I found out that the light in the boot wasnt turning itself off when the boot was shut therefore always being on and draining the battery. Try just taking the fuse/bulb out of each of the interior lights and see whether that sorts it out.

RYM
    Legendary BFuk Member
    Car Details
    RYM's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,935 Times in 3,119 Posts
    Good post mattygg, I also had this when I first fitted my custom fibreglass bootbuild surround. We too found that the little push button that controls the light wasn't making contact with the new surround which left all the neon illumination on all the time.

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    slim75's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316iSE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Afternoon folks - my first time on this forum (in fact first time on any forum!)and boy am I glad to have found such a useful resource with the answer to many of my questions!!

With regards to this thread I am having the same problem with battery drain on my E46 316iSE when it is left for a few days without being driven. I had a mechanic take a look and he says there is a 1 Amp drain on the battery when the car is fully switched off (incl lights etc) but couldn't locate the problem without pulling every fuse 1 at a time. I plan to do this when I get a multimeter and the time but need to know the following:

Does anyone know roughly what drain should be expected on a car that is functioning correctly? I am guessing there will be some drain for clock, alarm etc.

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Ronnie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    See above
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Always manual
    Car Body Type:
    Usually 5 doors
    Thanks
    BMW's like yours have a sleep mode that's activated after a certain time, the ECU's turn themselves off, I can't recall the length of time though.

Have a look here, http://www.wikihow.com/Find-a-Parasitic-Battery-Drain

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ronnie For This Useful Post:

slim75 (21-10-2008)

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    slim75's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316iSE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    BMW's like yours have a sleep mode that's activated after a certain time, the ECU's turn themselves off, I can't recall the length of time though.

Have a look here, http://www.wikihow.com/Find-a-Parasitic-Battery-Drain
    Thanks Ronnie. Appreciate your help. The article suggests that 25-50 milliamps is normal so I'll pull the fuses 1 at a time to see what is pushing it up to a 1 amp draw.

So with regards to sleep mode, when I connect the ammeter to the negative I should wait fo the car to sleep before starting to pull each fuse?

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Mawey's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318iS - 330 Ci SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    1996 - 2000
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Hi Slim,

I've just had the same problem on my E36. I had a one amp drain and although I got the battery checked (which came back ok) the fault was a dry cell in the battery. I bought a new one a week ago and I've had no problems since and the drain isn't showing. Hope this helps...

Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast