330i SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Hi

I have an interesting problem with the tailgate electrics on my touring.

The other day when driving along the tailgate glass section popped open on it's own.

I suspect I have a wiring short or earthout somwhere where the loom comes into the tailgate from the main body. As you can wiggle the rubber insulation tube and sometimes the glass will pop open. Also the interior light in the tailgate lid sometimes doesn't come on.

I haven't had time to investigate it yet, so any advice/assistance would be appreciated.

I have temporarily disconnected the tailgate glass lock motor so it can't open on it's own. the only drawback to doing that is that the boot open light on the check display is on all the time (because it thinks the glass is open as it is not connected) and the rear wiper won't work as it won't work if the glass is open so the motor and wiper arm mechanism can't get out of sync.

Every time I attempt a quick solution on my BMW (like disconnecting the offending part) I always end up with some other minor issue. Don't you just love technology!

Any advice appreciated as I won't get a chance to look at it until sometime next week.

E46 330i SE Touring

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Thanks
    I think you may have answered it already. You need to have a look by pulling back the rubber insulation you mentioned and the chances are you'll see a number of bare/broken wires which get damaged with the constant bending when you open/close the tailgate

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gildersol For This Useful Post:

Westfield1989 (29-03-2010)

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    fireytj's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E61 520d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    I have a 520d and had the same problem.
    The other day I took all the boot cover out and took out the window motor and opened it to check the inside, all was well then took the window wiper assembly off the glass and cleaned everything.
    The switch under the wiper was wet inside , so it got a good drying off then a clean, and was carefully put back and sealed.
    All the connections to the micro switch and the motor were pushed in well then the boot cover replaced.
    It has rained hard now for two days and today I have washed the car and it is still working fine. This took me half a day to do and bit by bit rebuilt so if it works for me it may work for others.
    PS BMW wanted £200 just to look at this problem that's before any parts or labour. So sometimes it pays to preserver. I am aware that my fault may not be the same as your fault but its worth a good look. Just pop the cover off the rear window switch on the outside and see if there is any wet at the bottom, if there is this may be the fault. The wiring looms are dodgy in the rear of these cars so if yours triggers when waggled then target this first. Good look.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fireytj For This Useful Post:

chrisrburgess (16-11-2010),Westfield1989 (29-03-2010)

7. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    Westfield1989's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330i SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    I managed to have a quick look on Saturday. But the rubber insulation where I think the fault is splits into two and is very difficult to peel back to investigate. I had a brief attempt and then gave up as the rain started (again). I have reconnected the tailgate glass lock motor and since then it has not opened on its own. So I may have separated the shorting wire away from its counterpart. Although the red/white light in the tailgate lid now doesn't work at all. So I suspect the two are linked and that the wire to the light has now broken. I'll just have to wait until we get some decent weather and enough time to investigate further. I may have to cut the rubber sleeve open but I want avoid this if I can.
    Last edited by Westfield1989; 29-03-2010 at 13:53.

E46 330i SE Touring

9. Tail Gate issues 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    renesor's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    I have exactly the same problem with the 'hatch' popping open. I found that removing fuse number 58 stops it (disables the lock and nothing else) and then you dont have those annoying lights glaring at you thru the rear view mirror.
    If you have a look at the fuse board table under Central locking System, there should be a 'touring only' which includes Fuse 58.
    Also look into the root of the problem as things tend to get progressively worse. I now have lost the rear de-mist and wash wipe functions.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to renesor For This Useful Post:

Westfield1989 (20-04-2010)

Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    Westfield1989's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330i SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by renesor View Post
    Also look into the root of the problem as things tend to get progressively worse. I now have lost the rear de-mist and wash wipe functions.
    Are you sure that the rear wiper isn't working just because the fuse is out. On mine I disconnected the wiring connector to the glass lock motor and that disabled the rear wiper as well. On mine because I had disconnected the lock motor for the glass, that meant the car thought the glass was open (the red light in the check control panel for the tailgate was on all the time the ignition was on). Because it thinks the glass is open it disables the rear wiper motor so that it can't operate and get out of sync with the wiper arm linkage in the glass section. Just an idea. Pulling the fuse may not be the same as disconnecting the lock motor.
    I will get round to sorting the wiring out sometime, but at the moment the only problem I have is the red/white interior light in the tailgate lid doesn't work, and I can live with that!!

Thanks for your info though. May pull the fuse to see what happens.

E46 330i SE Touring