BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2000 E46 330Ci - CCFLs not always getting power

Tags
ccfls nbt power
2K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  sam1832 
#1 ·
Basically my CCFLs aren't working... or rather one ring on one side always works... but the other 3 kind of decided when they do and don't want to work.

The fact that at times i do have all 4 working tells me it isn't the ballast things.

Could this be that my battery is a bit on the old side and a heavy duty could fix the problem. I do have an amp, sub, flip out HU, blue light conversion, HID's as well as all the usual electrics..

Is it likely to be a dying battery or could this be a wiring issue with the CCFLs.

Cheers

Jon

#4 ·
It could still be a "dodgy" ballast resistor... Had a similar issue with an aftermarket HID kit I fitted on my wife's MINI Cooper - changed the packs over and the problem moved too... Replaced it and the problem went...:thumbsup

What do yours look like? I may have a spare if you want to try one...:thumbsup

#9 ·
Mine are the early Gens for the e46 (thin ones) i think Gen 3.

Theres only one ring working on one side all the time, and neither on the other side... then on occasion one side will work (both rings), then the other side will work etc etc..

They're on different circuits aren't they ? why i'm thinking power supply before the packs. Ill try switching the packs and see if that changes anything.

Think if it is the packs ill have to replace both sides

#16 ·
Sam - I'm not great with electronics lol.. How would i mod with a resistor to do something like that

Neal - great minds think alike. That's how mine is set up... bulbs don't work (haven't in a while) but i left them in just in case. Plus it adds underbonnet lighting lol (when the bulbs work)

#19 ·
so if we imagine that each side light bulb is 5 watt:

Power = I (current) X V (volts)

I = P/V

I= 5/12

I= .42

So if you went for 0.5 ohm resistor (500 milliohm)

and now thinking about it, you would need to fit it accross your inverter, you could fit it directly into the bulb holder, this would make the obc think the bulb is there and take you warning lamp away,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.