BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2000 E46 325ci, Heater / blower not working

4K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Notebook 
#1 ·
Hi All

Hope someone can help. Father in laws 325 Coupe w reg. Blower / heater doesnt work or make any noise. However, it does show up on the display as working. Any help appreciated. Have changed resistor packs on a few cars that I have had, but these have given the fan running on full speed with no control. I take it that it is something similar?

Any help appreciated on what it could be, any pictures and cost etc.

Thanks

#3 ·
Hedgehog? Is this seperate to the fan? - so battery through fuse - hedgehog? - fan
This correct?
Before I have a look on the weekend, need as much info as possible.
Are the fuses marked up for the fan etc?
What does the hedgehog do?

Just rang him and he said that it wouldnt work on low speed only on high for a short while, and on this the speed went up and down, before packing in, so you might be on the right track there. We are both electricians / techs, so anything we can measure on it?
Thanks

#5 ·
I am 99% certain it is the final stage resistor causing your fan failure. Mine had the same symptoms, slight variation in fan speed a couple of times and then one morning fan not working at all. The air con display panel will show you the fan speed bars how you would expect to see them, but the final stage resistor won't send power to the blower motor accordingly.
It's not a nice job to do, not difficult. just annoyingly awkward to get to. Have fun. Plenty of info on changing it on here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.