2000 E46 323i ABS Problems +Ebay code readers.

Notices

Thread: 2000 E46 323i ABS Problems +Ebay code readers.

Reply to Thread
  1. 2000 E46 323i ABS Problems +Ebay code readers. 
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    AlfonsoX's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    323i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Hi, sorry if this is the wrong place to list this thread but I wasn't sure where the best place for it to go would be. anyhoo...

I recently bought a 323i 2000 and the next day the ABS and traction control lights came on - I read that the wheel speed sensors can become dirty and cleaning can help fix them. Tried to take one out and broke it so i got an OEM replacement for it and fitted it. Decided to leave it at that with regards to cleaning them

When starting the car the lights aren't on anymore but when you go over 20mph and you then slow back down to 20mph or less you can hear the ABS pump activating and feel it slightly in the pedal. The pump will continue to operate until you speed up to more than 20mph or stop.

I took the car on gravel, braked hard and the ABS still works, as does the traction control

Does anyone know what could be causing these problems, any help would be appreciated and it would make you the bestest person ever!

Also... These code readers on ebay for about £30 that plug into a laptop - could they tell me whats wrong or are they rubbish and dont really work.

eg. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-CAR-1-3-6-...d=p3286.c0.m14

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Ronnie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    See above
    Year of Manufacture:
    Never too old, never too new
    Transmission Type:
    Always manual
    Car Body Type:
    Usually 5 doors
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,051 Times in 5,322 Posts
    Where did you get the ABS sensor from?

Also Carsoft and PA soft is pretty good for the home user for diagnostic work Most go with Carsoft, but it can be a pain to set up.

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    AlfonsoX's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    323i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    ok, problem fixed now - just incase anyone has the same problem here's what i did:

replaced the broken sensor with an OEM one.. from..... ebay (commence laughter at noob actions - its not like its an important part of the... nevermind) tested it using the multimeter test, i was getting around 600-400mV on the three originals but was only getting 20mV on the OEM. Ordered a proper BMW part for £80ish fitted it and the light was still on.

I read somewhere that the ABS is affected if the battery is getting a bit old, it runs a self test right after the engine has started and if the battery can only just turn the engine over it doesn't have the right voltage to do the test.

To see if that was the problem i could have changed batteries with another one temporarily but what i did was pull in, rev the engine to 2000-2500RPM for about 30-60 seconds. Stopped the engine and immediately started it again. this short time doesn't give the battery time to discharge much so if it was the battery that was doing it the ABS light should go out, which it did!

Checked the battery and it was still the original.... 9 years on. I guess if i had done that first i could have saved myself £110 (OEM part + BMW part)

So if your ABS light has come on for no reason, just try the pulling in revvy engine thing, you never know!