Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Hi all, I followed eddiee36's excellent post on fixing the OBC button but now have a different problem. I got everything back together, reconnected the battery and on starting the car the horn came on continuously. Turning the car off I tried flicking the lights on to main beam only for them to stay on. The only way to turn them off was to turn the sidelights on. I haven't tried anything else except to pull the fuse for the horn.

I've taken the wheel off again and checked for any trapped wiring loose connections etc but everything looks fine. Reading through the forum I see references to the slip ring giving problems? Could this be what is wrong with mine?

Thanks for any advice
    Jerry

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    johnny-c2's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    convertible
    Thanks
    the problem with the lights staying on with ignition off isnt actually a fault,they should turn of after a couple of mins,its a feature so you can see to your door after parking up at night,my car does it,as for the horn i dont know that one sorry.

John.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    xox101's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Ah, that explains the lights then. Thanks for that. I've just noticed that I have no indicators either! I have a spare indicator stalk so if I can summon up the energy again I might try swapping them over. Only problem is the horn stays on no matter which stalk I use. Still if it got my indicators back I could at least drive the car. It's puzzling as all the other buttons on the wheel seem to work ok and if it had been the slip ring I would have expected problems with them.

Jerry

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    xox101's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Fixed! I did a bit more online searching and found a few posts about screws becoming loose inside the steering wheels of E46's. The screws then fall out and become lodged between the airbag carrier and the horn contact. Now I had noticed when I took my wheel off that virtually every screw was loose and I was sure that I had accounted for them all upon reassembly. But I took it off again to find that it wasn't a screw but one of the springs behind the airbag carrier that had slipped out and got itself wedged in the wrong place. I had to unscrew the airbag carrier bolts to get the spring back and found that the bolt holding it in place wouldn't tighten. Shoved some nut lock in there so hopefully no more problems. Ah, the joys of fixing your own car!