BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2000 E46 318i, Coolant level warning light.

19K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  DOGSBITS 
#1 ·
Hi,I have a 318 year 2000 and the coolant warning light comes on now and again.
I have checked the level several times and it is fine,any ideas?
Cheers,Kevin.

#2 ·
Level sensors on the radiator - one of them will probably be faulty, quite a common issue. Best to get it fixed otherwise you'll get in the habit of ignoring the warning light. ;)

#8 ·
See Neal's reply below :thumbsup. Easy enough to DIY might want to drain it first or you'll get covered in cooloant.Then follow the bleed procedure to make sure you don't have any airlocks in the system :thumbsup

Bleed procedure :thumbsup
How to bleed the cooling system.
1.Jack the front of the vehicle up onto stands as high as possible,
2.Turn the ignition on,engine off,heater on fan setting 1 and temperature fully hot,
3.Remove the rad cap/expansion cap,remove the bleed screw from the radiator and IF you have them the bleed screw(s) from the thermostat housing/top hose, return pipe or EGR thermostat.
4.Fill the radiator up and keep pouring till there are no more air bubbles coming out from the bleeds, using a funnel that fits tight in the radiator neck and filling it full of water will help push any troublesome air out, when good you can then install the bleeds and tighten down(don't snap them),ensure the rubber O-rings/seals are still on the screws/on the bleed holes.
5.Suck some water out so it's not full to the brim, replace the cap and then start the car. Run her up and check for heat from the vents when warm and check if over heating still persists. You may have to bleed troublesome cars twice(but rare).
6.If all is good then check the water level again in the morning when cool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.