BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2000 E46 318ci wiring sensor help

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  steve318ci 
#1 · (Edited)
2000 E46 318ci newby wiring+sensor help

Hey guys,

New to this so bare with me!!!

Car is a E46, 318ci, 2000. I have a problem with, i think, a bad earth but would welcome more info.

Recently my engine management light came on, had it read and bought up post cat lambda sensor and camshaft position sensor. Replaced both and had management reset, About a week later, engine management again, read again and same codes. Reset, and its back yet again, with same codes! Looks like i've replaced sensors for nothing and is probably a wiring fault/bad earth.

Not sure if it helps, but mpg has dropped to around 22mpg, which includes a fair bit on the motorway, however car runs smooth except for a little shaking on idle.

Please help, not sure where to go but would like to have a crack at it myself, if i can.

Cheers in advance

Steve

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks for gettin back to me...

have checked the pipes and they're ok. Didn't use original bmw parts but the chances of both new sensors both failing at the same time seems a little unlikely.

the idling problem seems to correct itself if i press on top of the positive crankcase ventilation valve! any ideas? does it need cleaning or replacing?

had local breakdown out and they seemed to think it may be a bad earth which was affecting those sensors.

would a bad earth cause these sensors to malfunction and be the cause of such a low mpg?

#6 ·
breather valve replaced, idling problem sorted... just engine management to deal with.

had it read again...pre lamda sensor and coolant temp sensor this time. local bmw mechanic reckons changing the mass air flow meter could sort everything but at £180, is it a bit of a gamble?

Any ideas

Cheers
steve

#9 ·
Had the codes read again, and coolant temp sensor and pre cat lamda came up. Had it reset again and managed 19 miles before EML on again. That makes it just about every sensor so far!!!

If i unplug the MAF, what should i be looking for? The car runs smooth, no juddering at idle anymore. Am i just looking for a better fuel consumption?

Cheers guys:thumbsup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.