Model of Car:
    318ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Hi, as an ongoing quest to rid my BM of its little niggles, the next on the list was the red airbag light. The first place I looked was under the passenger seat. Not only was the passenger seatbelt tensioner unplugged but the wire has been cut & two wires taped up (blue with red trace & Blue with Brown trace) Any Idea why this would have been done & how do I get things as they should be please? Is it just a case of obtaining a new seat belt tensioner??

Thanks
    Stuart

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    Diablo944's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 ti compact sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    leadfoot sport trip
    Car Body Type:
    compact
    Thanks
    Sounds like passenger occupancy sensor woes. Lots of threads on the subject. not sure why they would cut and connect two cables though, it would need a diode to fool the OBD. Lot of owners who have had the POS problem buy one of the kits to do just that (usually ebay for around 10-15 quid.

whether you go the DIY route to make one, buy a bypass built or rectify the issue and put it back as it actually should be will still require the light be reset as it latches in.

SRS faults, regardless of whether the fault has cleared by itself or been rectified, still keeps the light on. To reset once you have cured the issue of what caused the light in the first place, it is either a visit to somewhere with the diagnostics kit that can do a reset (I got quoted over a ton by a genuine stealer) or buy yourself a Peake SRS or similar. As you are not sure that the problem you have is what has caused the light (it may be a botched attempt to try and cure a pre existing issue) then I would vote for buying your own.

If you are going the stealer route though, get the codes read and see what that tells them
    2002 325 Compact Sport ti M-Tec---- A little thanks goes a long way

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Diablo944 For This Useful Post:

slippy944 (02-03-2011)

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    slippy944's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Diablo944 View Post
    Sounds like passenger occupancy sensor woes. Lots of threads on the subject. not sure why they would cut and connect two cables though, it would need a diode to fool the OBD. Lot of owners who have had the POS problem buy one of the kits to do just that (usually ebay for around 10-15 quid.

whether you go the DIY route to make one, buy a bypass built or rectify the issue and put it back as it actually should be will still require the light be reset as it latches in.

SRS faults, regardless of whether the fault has cleared by itself or been rectified, still keeps the light on. To reset once you have cured the issue of what caused the light in the first place, it is either a visit to somewhere with the diagnostics kit that can do a reset (I got quoted over a ton by a genuine stealer) or buy yourself a Peake SRS or similar. As you are not sure that the problem you have is what has caused the light (it may be a botched attempt to try and cure a pre existing issue) then I would vote for buying your own.

If you are going the stealer route though, get the codes read and see what that tells them
    Great, thanks for that.
    Is this any good then? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-SRS-AIRBAG...item2eb38d55dc
    Looks like I better get a bypass kit from ebay too ?

6. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    Diablo944's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 ti compact sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    leadfoot sport trip
    Car Body Type:
    compact
    Thanks
    I went down the peake route solely as it was based on word of mouth and I wanted what others knew worked for the task but it is a lot more expensive than the one you showed in the link. I only show this one as it is the tool I have and I didn't buy it from the USA either, customs duties are painful from the US. As to whether the one you have mentioned is any good, I can only say that somebody here must have used one and have some say in the matter. Certainly a significantly cheaper item.

You will need the bypass if the fault turns out to be the POS, and as you haven't had the car without a fault light up, the actual fault needs to be identified. The Peake will identify what component is causing the light. If it is the POS then a bypass unit will fix the actual fault, once that is in place then you can finally reset the fault.

Be aware though, after fitting the bypass unit, the car will always think there is someone sat in the passenger seat. So any crash bad enough to set off your stering wheel airbag will also set off the passenger side. It is a trade off. Lots of money to have a new occupancy sensor fitted to do it right. Cheap option (still safe though and removes the light) is the bypass unit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Peake...motiveQ5fTools

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    slippy944's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Taking a closer look after reading about the bypass kit. It does not seem to be them wires that have been cut. The wire leading to the plug that connects to the seat belt tensioner (2 x black wires) are cut & the blue wires mentioned above next to a black & yellow connector are taped up?

Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    Diablo944's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 ti compact sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    leadfoot sport trip
    Car Body Type:
    compact
    Thanks
    sounds ropey to me. Code read at a minimum. see what flags up. Peake definitely does the read of the codes, but all depends on what your local stealer or indie quotes you really. might prefer to have them tell you whats wrong?

I am a cheapskate though. I would peake myself solely for use later should it be needed

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Diablo944 For This Useful Post:

slippy944 (04-03-2011)

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    slippy944's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Well I bought another seatbelt pre tensioner with all the cables & one of the cheaper code reader things, I`ll keep ou informed

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    slippy944's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by slippy944 View Post
    Well I bought another seatbelt pre tensioner with all the cables & one of the cheaper code reader things, I`ll keep ou informed
    Well at long last my new (used) seatbelt tensioner & wires have arrived. I fitted them this morning & got out my new B800 code scanner & airbag light re set thingy.
    I re set the airbag light & it was off for almost a second before it came back on again. I checked through the fault codes & its only showing one code, it says "Firing Circuit, drivers airbag"
    Does anyone know what this means please?

Thanks
    Stu