Model of Car:
    316i Compact
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Bought my BMW 2 days ago and the dealer can't get a mechanic to look at it this week. When I got the keys I started it up and the car stalled, didn't think much of it, restarted it and the revs were around 600, I just pressumed it had been laying around for a while. Got home, and took my mum to get her car that I had been using, got in the car started it up, stalled again, restarted low idling around 600 again. Since then the idling has been sitting at different levels, cold starts it will sit at 900 rpm. Last night I took it on a motorway run and stopped after that to find the it idling on 500 rpm. I'm an apprentice bus mechanic and an ex-car mechanic at my work said to check the air mass sensor, but I checked that earlier but I can't get it off since BMW have put awkward torque screws that have a pin in the middle so I can use my torque screwdriver to take it off. While randomly playing around with buttons in the car, I pressed a button with a logo that looks exactly like the recycling log (can anyone tell me what this does as I didn't get the onwers manual :/) by pressing that the rpm seemed to raise and stabalize, I pressed another button right underneath it, same logo but thinner, and it didn't make that much difference. After pressing that first button, it stabalized for a few seconds and the engine went back to its jittery self, but stayed at about 700 rpm. Also that button I pressed had a green light, which I pressed it and the other one on and off a couple of times and now the green light doesn't work -.- lastly I'd like to note that for some reason the car was close to stalling but the rev meter didn't seem to realise and stayed at 700rpm and the engine stabalized again. I've been screwed over with cars since I started driving can someone please give me a reasonable answer. The car was serviced before I got it, and it was a big one aswell, ALOT was done to that car.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    stek's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 se
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    If it's just been serviced have a look under the bonnet and make sure the oil filler cap is on properly and the dip stick is pushed fully in, these cars have a pressurised crank case breather system and if either of these items are lose or missing they will run lumpy.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Shizzjizz's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316i Compact
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    I'll try that since on Saturday when I went to see test drive it, I looked at the oil level to check for a head cover gasket gone, and the guy took the oil cap off to show me aswell, so both of those have been removed in the last week. The dealer said there was no problem with it before and was surprised, though I thought he was just pretending he didn't know so I'd leave him alone.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Shizzjizz's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316i Compact
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Dipstick was already fully in and oil filler cap was securely on but I took both off and refitted to be sure, haven't bothered to start my car as it doesn't seem like doing that will have made any difference. Any other suggestions?

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Shizzjizz's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316i Compact
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Figured out that the car only has issues when the engine is already warm, if i start the car when its cold, the idling will be high, smooth and won't stall. If I drive for 15mins until the engine is fully heat up and then turn off the car, then maybe switch it back on 10min later or less or even more it will start and instantly stall, or start idle for about 3 seconds then stall. The only way to keep the car running is by starting it up and instantly driving away before it gets a chance to stall, once you've drove it only a few metres it will idle fine and won't stall. It's become more of a pain because of this as I stalled the car myself at traffic lights and then it stalled itself twice while waiting -.-