BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2000 1.9 Compact 318ti Rear foglight problem.

734 views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  bueshed 
#1 ·
Hi,
Have reposted as I did not put the car details in the Title.

I took it for it's MOT and it failed on the rear foglights not working. The switch pulled out to the first stop for the front fogs but would not stay out on the second which switches the rear fogs. I took it all apart and found that it is not supposed to stay out and has a spring to prevent this. The rear light does not come on even when the switch is right out, neither does the tell-tale light in the dash. I am baffled, is there a relay somewhere? Has anyone else had this problem?

Added later; It is an E36 with M44 engine

#2 ·
Solved

The 2000 model has a momentary contact switch controlling a latching relay for the rear foglights. Pull for on; pull again for off. To get to it; remove the big panel underneath the steering column. The relay is right in front of you.
To get the foglight switch out; unscrew both light switch knobs, unscrew the two torx screws above the instrument cluster, pop off the covers behind where the knobs were, unscrew the two torx screws now showing in the recesses. Pull the instrument cluster forward, remove the dashlight from its clip, unclip the two side retaining clips and the switch will slide out away from you, fiddle it back through the gap and release the loom connector.
Good Luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.