1999 E46 GM5 module - does any know what is the difference between a GM5 high and GM5 low module is?

Notices

Thread: 1999 E46 GM5 module - does any know what is the difference between a GM5 high and GM5 low module is?

Reply to Thread
  1. 1999 E46 GM5 module - does any know what is the difference between a GM5 high and GM5 low module is? 
    BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    grommet's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    as the thread says can anyone please tell me what the difference between a GM5 high and GM5 low module as i have a GM5 high fitted into my car but its playing up and Iv seen a GM5 low module which i was thinking of buying?

please help

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

FAL
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    FAL's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    R53
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Hatchback

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    Hi im not sure if this thread is in the right place but im looking at replacing my GM5 unit with a second hand one iv found at my local scrap yard, i understand you just cant swap the units over as they have to be reprogrammed or recoded, but can you do this yourself, if so how???
    You'll need to recode the used module to the ZCS/FA (vehicles central coding string) and your keys, with NCS (New Coding System).
    Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    as the thread says can anyone please tell me what the difference between a GM5 high and GM5 low module as i have a GM5 high fitted into my car but its playing up and Iv seen a GM5 low module which i was thinking of buying?
    The GM5 High has additional controls (Example: rear windows on your Touring).

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    scottjoh's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    323i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    You don't want to use a GM5 LOW in a car that has a high. The LOW is missing the relays for the rear windows as well as input latch chip for some signals.

There are other differences between the various GM5 modules that have come out over the years. Some won't be compatible with your outside rear view mirrrors for example. high, low, GM V, GM5, GM5RD, K-bus, LIN, K/LIN. It's a regular alphabet soup.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

6. gm5 low/high 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Jamesjarvis318i's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i se
    Year of Manufacture:
    1999 E46
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    hi guys im new to this forum and a new owner of a 1999 e46 318i and im having problems with my central locking, the door lock button down by the handbrake is intermittent sometimes will work but doesn't most of the time. my key fob (older style) is worn and in taking care have replaced the battery, the car had been parked up for a while and the battery went flat but after being jump started and having a long drive it has been ok the car starts fine, dose anybody have any ideas? have been told it could be the gm5 but how can you tell if it's the high or low gm5??

Car Details
    edber's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E60 520D LCI
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    AUTOMATIC
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Images
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesjarvis318i View Post
    hi guys im new to this forum and a new owner of a 1999 e46 318i and im having problems with my central locking, the door lock button down by the handbrake is intermittent sometimes will work but doesn't most of the time. my key fob (older style) is worn and in taking care have replaced the battery, the car had been parked up for a while and the battery went flat but after being jump started and having a long drive it has been ok the car starts fine, dose anybody have any ideas? have been told it could be the gm5 but how can you tell if it's the high or low gm5??
    If your car has electric rear windows it will have a gm5 high.
    You can check by removing the fusebox and the gm5 is in behind and will have a label on it.