1. 1999 E39 alarm Remote Problems 
    BMW Master
    Car Details
    mrbarry's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Car Body Type:
    My car is a E39, 1999 V reg, 530d. It has a factory fit alarm with a 3 button key fob. All was well untill last week, I took the car for a new windscreen and a tint job. Now the alarm remote seems to be weak and I have to press it a few times and be close to the car, but some times it works from a long way away. Today I put a new battery in the fob and its the same.

After some thought I recalled the guy doing the tints saying the rear passsenger window looked odd, the metal strip was hit and miss not a solid line. Not sure but I presume that it was not well stuck and got damaged during cleaning. I assumed at the time it was the radio antena, now I assume it is for the alarm. If stand passenger side it works perfectly and from many meters away, drivers side it is hard to get it to opperate.

Question is has any one else had this problem and is there an easy fix? I dont want to replace the glass. I am going to try a meter of copper cable run just under the trim at the bottom of the window and see how that works, but the impedance should be matched to the alarm module really.

Thanks in advance

EDIT, could there be a metalic layer in the tint stopping the radio signal getting the the antena? Either way its a pain, if it worked drivers side not passenger that would do. :?

2. Remove Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Ronnie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    See above
    Year of Manufacture:
    Never too old, never too new
    Transmission Type:
    Always manual
    Car Body Type:
    Usually 5 doors
    Bournemouth, Dorset.
    Thanked 7,051 Times in 5,322 Posts
    The aerial is in the rear window, hence the tinting effecting the range

See here http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/r...9old/index.htm

Under body electrical system, locking and security systems, remote control(ZKEIII)